child support

The father of my son has to pay child support and he owes me over 2,000 dollars and i was wondering if he is not paying child support does he still have rights to his son, and he has to go to court for child support and i was wondering what they might end up doing, he told me that they want to send him to jail for 6 months.......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Child support and rights/visitation are not related.
    Is there a child support order in place?
    Does child support garner his wages? Most of the time they will take child support straight from your paycheck via your employer before you ever see the money.
    For people that don't pay their support they can have their driver's license and other professional licensees suspended as well as face jail time. Often times they are given a certain time frame to pay a "purge" (portion of the past due amount owed) to avoid going to jail.
    Anonymous

• The two aren't related. I don't think someone should be shunned from seeing their child because they haven't paid child support. Your child still has a right to know his father whether he has paid or not. It is up to you unless a judgment is in place and then you have to follow the judges orders.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:08 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Also not all states are the same. It would be best to see an attorney if you have good reason for him not to see the child/children.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:10 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Child support and visitation are not joined. Our children are not for sale. If you keep a father from seeing their child ESPECIALLY if you cite CS as the reason can really bite you in the behind.
    Not only in court, but with your child.... HE/SHE is the ONLY concern here --- they deserve a the chance to know their father for better or for worse (unless he is putting them in danger)

BTW, my ex owes has been over 18 K and I've still DRIVEN THE KIDS 600 miles to make sure they see him and would've again this year if he hadn't gotten locked up for being 24 K behind in CS
    Anonymous

• I guess I look at it different than everyone else. If your not paying for the support of your child, then why would I go out of my way to let you see him? My ex hasn't paid a dime in child support and I haven't asked for it. He says he's going to go to court and pay to see my son. Which, over my dead body will he ever see my child again.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I know that with my father that owed and is still paying off Thousands of dollars to my mom had a warrant out for his arrest in our home state and was also unable to get a passport.

It all depends on the state and what they will do.

Visitation is not related to child support.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:16 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Child support and visitation are two separate things. If he's a deadbeat, though, chances are good that if he isn't paying, he's not likely to push real hard to see the child. But you can't prevent it, and you really don't want to; your child will only come to resent you later. If you are going to prevent visitation, it needs to be for a good reason, such as he's a danger to the child or he's done something that you find so morally wrong that you just can't comfortably allow your child to be with him without worrying for his safety and well being.

As to him going to jail, if he is not paying, if you motion the court requesting he be held in contempt, the judge can order that he be incarcerated (sent to jail), but the amount of time can vary. My ex went for 30 days, and 60 days. I know of men who've gone until they could pay X amount of what they owed, and ended up spending a yr or several years in jail.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2009