I feel like my baby might not be gaining the right amount of weight he is breastfeed and weighs 16pounds 12oz ...How much should an average 9 month old weigh?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Go to www.kellymom.com to look at the BREASTFED baby weight charts. Breastfed babies gain differently than formula fed babies.

And also keep in mind that averages are ...averages... that means someone has to be on the small end and someone has to be on the large end. That doesn't mean anything is wrong. Body type and genetics are different for everyone. As long as baby is healthy, happy, alert, active, and meeting milestones there is nothing to worry about.

My baby is slender and very LONG. She is not a chubby baby, but she is a healthy baby.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• that is a good size for a 9 month old. He should weigh 20 pounds plus when he hits his 1 yr mark. Keep doing what you are doing.
    youngmom2004

Answer by youngmom2004 at 8:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Sounds fine to me. I had 1 that was 18 lbs at 6 months, 1 that was about 18 lbs at 9 months and 1 who was 16.5 lbs at a year. All breastfed. They are different, as are your children from mine. I believe the average for a 12 month old is 20 lbs, but that is the average. Some will be much larger and some smaller.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• As long as he doesn't look unhealthy and he's peeing and/or pooping like a champ, I wouldn't worry about it. My SIL and I both breastfeed our babies. Her daughter is 9 weeks older than mine and when my daughter went in for her 2 month appointment, she was 1 inch shorter but the exact same weight as my niece at her 4 month appointment. My daughter does look chunkier than my niece, but my niece still looks healthy. Each baby is different.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 11, 2009