Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Custody rules in place and being broken, could anything really come of this?

It is in the custody agreement that if either parent of the Skids change address that they have to give the court a 30 day notice and address and give the ex the same before they move. BM called last week and said they were moving to a house an hour away from here. DH reminded her she had to give him address and a 30 day notice before she moves and she said that this was his notice but didn't give an address. she dropped the kids off today& SS said he was starting a new school next week. They moved into this house over 2 weeks ago and she never gave us notice and she didn't tell the courts either and still hasn't. Is this just a broken rule that should be ignored or should we call the judge and tell him? Would anything come of it or will they just blow it off? We are not willing to drive an hour both ways to get the kids when we were not consulted on this or given any heads up. Plus it is always icey and dangerous there

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • never know until you pursue it....depends on the judge alot as well.

    I would report it because there may be something more serious that comes up later and you want every infraction documented even if they don't do anything now.

    good luck

    Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:08 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

  • She's in contempt. I would consult an attorney. If she has good reason to move, like job etc, then I don't think she will get in trouble. She may just have to meet you half way with the kids on his visitation weekends.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

  • She is in contempt of court and depending on the what is stated in custody papers, can be jailed. Report her to family courts or to your attorney. She can and will get in trouble no matter what the reason is for moving, all she had to do was REPORT the change to the courts and to your SO. It would have taken her 5 minutes. Also, most documents state how far a parent can move without the other parents permission. I can move within 300 miles in state and not out of state without notifying my ex.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

  • Well her boyfriend bought the house and anyone who has every bought a house knows that it is a process so they've known about it for awhile. They just never told us. She doesn't really work, she purposely keeps her hours to about 10 or so a week as a waitress (per a voicemail she left us, "why would I work when the government pays for everything if I don't) so there was no job change or anything. What bothers us is she forgot that she had to transfer the kids to the new school and they've missed 2 weeks of school and are still not sure if they can even go next week which is the last week before the christmas break. Its a little over an hour drive from here, we live in VA in the valley of the blue ridge mountains...well she moved to one of the top of the mountains and their weather is completely and totally different than ours. Lots of ice and snow, very dangerous mountain road. She didn't take that into consideration.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

  • oh and not to mention that they just had an ice storm out there this monday and they've been living in this house with no running water, no lights and only a wood stove to heat the house or cook with. I don't even know if the kids have had a bath this week since there is no water there and their clothes aren't clean because they are just ones that weren't packed and she hasn't bothered to unpack anything in the past 2 weeks since they've been there. We are willing to meet half way or drive 1 way but we're not going to get stuck driving both ways everytime we get the kids with the way gas keeps going up. I don't know how long this will last, b/c like I said they didn't think about the weather conditions and both of them work here in the city. They do not have a car that will drive well at all in snow and especially down a mountain. If they can't work they can't pay the mortgage. We'll see...the kids already hate it there

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

  • You need to contact your attorney, & the friend of the court.

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:51 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
child support

Next question overall (Relationships)
What should I do?