How can I get my newborn baby to go to sleep at night?

My newborn daughter does not go to sleep at night. She takes naps during the day, but I don't let her sleep the whole day. She falls asleep between 8-9pm and then wakes up at midnight. I feed her & change her diaper and she stays up from there. Whenever I put her down in the bassinet or our bed, she cries. She sometimes fools us by making it look like she's sleeping but when we put her down, she cries again. Even when we are holding her, shes crying. I feed her so many times throughout the night (Im breastfeeding), thinking thats the problem, but she still ends up crying afterwards. She stays up from midnight to about 5am. I need suggestions on how to get her to sleep at night.

bellasmommy1563

Asked by bellasmommy1563 at 9:20 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ok well how old of a newborn is she? Be sure to burp her really really well. Is she pushing her legs up to her tummy a lot , that's gas sign. Make sure too there a time span of two to three hours between feedings for her to digest the food. I feed my baby too much and she just screamed constantly. Another baby of mine had colic as an infant and I knew it wasn't that. With my third baby screaming I took her to our ped and she called my dd a Baracudda Baby cause she was overeating, programed to eat upson waking or screaming. We discussed different feeding schedules and times and things were better after that.
    Anonymous

• Try taking her a warm bath for about 10 minutes to help soothe her. Or maybe you can play some gentle lullabys for her near her bed. Try some warm milk. And try not to hold her so much. Holding a baby, especially a newborn, loves the comfort of being in the arms and will want it all the time. I was like that with my first born, I always was holding him. Also, try to keep her up a few hours before her bedtime that way she will sleep a little longer, Get her on a schedule that will make the both of you happy!

-Vanessa
    vdr1983

Answer by vdr1983 at 9:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• It sounds like she has her nights and days mixed up. How much of a newborn is she? I believe that if a baby wants to be held, you should hold them. I am not of the school that you can hold a baby too much...Try keeping her up a few hours before bed time. Otherwise, just know that it won't last forever.
    mrimom

Answer by mrimom at 9:52 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• How newborn is she? My newborns (just had my 4th) only slept and ate those first few weeks. She may not be getting enouygh sleep during the day. Strangely enough that keeps them awake at night. My son (not quite two weeks) is fussy at night. I have started taking as much time as needed to make sure he is sound asleep before I go to bed. It may take me two hours of nursing, burping, holding, nursing, changing, etc before he is out cold, but that is still better then going to bed and getting up constantly because he is crying and fussing. Good luck!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:53 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Sounds like she has night and day mixed up. Very common. Here is a link to check out.

http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca/Pregnancy/Sleep-Time.aspx?articleID=7703&categoryID=PG-nh4-06b

HTH!
    Good luck!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Here's another link

http://www.easybabylife.com/days-and-nights-are-mixed-up.html
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• My daughter never had her nights and days mixed up so I don't know if the things we did helped or we just lucked out, but here are some things we did from the start - as a shower gift I got a thing that projects a scene onto the ceiling and it has sound, a heartbeat, ocean waves, music, etc. We didn't use the projector part, but we'd turn on the ocean waves because we figured it sounded close to how it sounded in the womb; we use night lights and then there is a very dim lamp in the nursery by the changing table - this way no bright lights are turned on to make her think it's time to be awake and this also helps me to go back to sleep quickly once she's asleep. There were some nights that she wouldn't settle in her crib and since her crib is in our bedroom, I would take her in the living room and sit on our chair with my feet on the ottoman and sleep with her on my chest to keep from keeping my husband awake.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:50 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• And at first she would eat about every 2-3 hours all day and during the night. Maybe around 8 or 9 weeks old she started having one long stretch of 4 hours and now at 3.5 months her long stretch at night is anywhere from 6-8 hours. Occasionally she'll do a 4 or 5 hour stretch but it's usually at least 6 hours now. After her long stretch of 6-8 hours, she does about 2 hours between feedings now. She is also exclusively breastfed. Hope some of this helps. Good luck. Oh and at night, I don't talk in a normal volume to her, I whisper. Pretty much I get up, change her, feed her and then back to bed. No messing around.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 11, 2009