Catholics,

do you bring young children to midnight mass on Christmas eve?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No. I dont go anymore bc we've been going to my sisters for years and she lives far from my church.
    Anonymous

• Why do you ask?

I do not take my kids to midnight Mass for a few reasons. When I was a child I was dragged to midnight Mass after a full day of Christmas Eve parties. The parties started at noon and didn't end until well past 2am. By the time we were allowed to crawl in bed I was tired. So tired I hardly even enjoyed the Christmas breakfast or gifts. The other reasons, out of the 8 Catholic Churches in a 10 mile radius the only one that offers midnight Mass is the Spanish speaking church. I do not speak Spanish so that leaves us out. There are some churches about 15 minutes away that celebrate midnight Mass, but I like the earlier Mass.

We go to 4pm Mass grandma's house and instead of midnight Mass we open presents around 10pm with the kids falling in bed around 11. I think parting from 4pm to 11pm is long enough for young kids. I don't judge parent's that take their child to midnight Mass.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 10:20 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• i'm not catholic, but i do miss going to xmas eve mass at my dh's former church (episcopal)..the church was/is beautifully lit with candles, the light bouncing off the stained-glass windows, the greens, the cold night air..something about the whole service seemed so magical! the music was beautiful, the atmosphere..indescribable!!
    (we don't go because of the child..too late, and who gets an all-night babysitter on xmas eve????)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:25 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• church (episcopal)..the church was/is

LOL that answers my question :)
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 10:27 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• what question would that be, kat?
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:28 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• the one right above this question asking if only Catholics celebrate service at midnight. maybe I will change it to read what denominations
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 10:36 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• i didn't see your question. :)
    actually, now that i think about it, their service begins after 1030pm, and usually ended by midnight..still too late to be picking up jack from a sitter. lol
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:43 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I want to go because its beautiful but my kids are way to tired.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:19 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Our "midnight" Mass is at 9pm on Christmas Eve - too late for my kids. And our parish has a special Christmas Eve Mass earlier in the day for children and my kids sing in the choir then participate then so that's the Mass we go to.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:30 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Midnight mass is too late for the kids, and it's a drag bringing the kids to the Christmas morning mass, so more often then not we decide to go to the Christmas Eve mass. The boy I babysit attends midnight mass w/ his family as that's the one they prefer.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 3:47 PM on Dec. 12, 2009