I'm early pregnant and was exposed to chickenpox... what should I do?

When I took our daughter to the pediatrician yesterday there was a girl there who had chickenpox. We didn't play or shake hands, but you never know what she could have touched or sneezed on, etc. I had them as a child, but I know that sometimes you can get them more than once. I also know that chickenpox before 20 weeks can cause birth defects that are incompatible with life.

What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You'll be fine. If you had the Chickenpox as a child you're chances of catching them again is very very slim! Don't worry, about things you can't control...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:15 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Didn;t you ask your doctor when you where there about this? That is the best thing to do. Ask your doctor.

Answer by louise2 at 10:13 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I'd suggest calling your OB and having them to a blood titer to see if you still have the immunity. . . In my doc's office it is one of the standard tests they want when ever you are pregnant.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:14 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• OP here.

I don't have a doc yet. I'm actually seeing a couple of different midwives and haven't decided who I'm going to see yet.
    Anonymous

• You need to see a doctor. Chicken pox while pregnant can harm the baby. My aunt got chicken pox when she was pregnant with my cousin and had to be watched closely. Her doc said the amniotic fluids can dry up or the baby can be born with chicken pox and that is not safe for a new born. Sorry to scare you but you are always better off checking with a doctor. They can do a bloodtest to see if you have the immunity already

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:18 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Check with a OB , my niece get chick pox towards the last of her term , and the baby was born with them. Her hearth stop when she was in labor. So please for your sake and the baby's check with a OB
    Alieda

Answer by Alieda at 7:22 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• PS The Dr get it started again and she had a health baby who was born with the poxes. Both are fine to day..
    Alieda

Answer by Alieda at 7:23 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• call your obgyn talk to him or her about it ive never been where you are so i have no idea hon but that is what i would do call first and talk to them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Dec. 12, 2009