How cold do dogs get?

There are no heaters in my basement or kitchen. I want to get my dogs a heated blanket but my husband says they are dogs and they have fur for that reason. I feel bad!

MLM0503

Asked by MLM0503 at 10:17 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Pets

• These breeds will get cold if in an unheated area.They have short hair and a single coat.Northern breeds ie: Huskeys.Samoyds,and the like can better tolerate the colder temps as they have a heavy double coat.No dog should be without shelter and straw or something similar to keep them warm.Your dogs should be indoors with a blanket or a dog bed for sleeping on.I'm sorry but hubby is wrong this time.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 11:02 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Depends on the breed. Like my dog, he is a chihuahua, he has only one coat of hair. He needs to be indoors in a heated place. Some dog have two coats. If the dog has two coats it can tolerate cold weather.

Answer by louise2 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• What kind of dogs do you have?

Answer by louise2 at 10:23 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• An American bulldog 110 lbs and a Pitbull 50 lbs
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• They are indoors! lol Im just saying there are no radiators in my kitchen. Its an old house that was remodled but they didnt put the old radiator back in the ktichen. Lol I would NEVER leave my dogs out in the cold!
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 12:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• The pit will probably need a sweater. The American Bulldog might benefit from one as well. Both breeds have incredibly short coats and come from dogs that were originally developed in the Mediterranean; not exactly a place known for the cold! Unless they're very, very overweight, there's no way they have enough insulation to keep them warm in unheated rooms during a winter where snow is involved. Not sure where you live, but I'm guessing it gets pretty cold if you're worried about it.

Hubby is wrong, and cold hearted to expect those dogs to stay warm!
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 1:55 PM on Dec. 13, 2009