What type of "preparing" do you do to ready a public toilet seat for your daughter?

Do you cover, clean or otherwise prepare a public toilet seat before letting your daughter sit on it?

mommyheymommy

Asked by mommyheymommy at 10:27 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Now, she's 6 & huge, I let her do it herself. She just wipes it off if its wet at all, from water. If its really yucky, like wet from pee, we will find another potty. She's old enough to hold it for a little while if its that bad. When she was smaller, I would kind of squat over the toilet so she could straddle my legs and never touch the potty at all. Its not even really their butts I'm worried about.  They touch the sides of the potty with their hands & before they are done & can wash their hands they have touched their face 20 times.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I don't do anything for my older girls (7 and 9). They use the bathroom on their own. For my 3yo, I just wipe the seat down with toilet paper. Then they wash their hands (well, I hope the older girls do, I don't always go in with them).
    They've never gotten sick from sitting on a public toilet. Neither have I in my 33 years.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:06 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I never did anything, past finding another one if the one we were in was visibly wet. It never occurred to me to do so. Dunno how in earth she survived.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 2:23 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I'm germophobic ; ) I used to carry a spray on sanitizer, but now I just cover with either the seat covers given or layers of t.p. if no seat covers are available before I let her use them.
    mommyheymommy

Answer by mommyheymommy at 11:00 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I'm a germaphobe too...I've rubbed purelle on my DD's backside before pulling her pants up.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• we usually just wipe it off with toilet paper, but my mother taught me to squat, i never sat on a toilet seat til recently-then again when i was a kid we lived overseas and visited some other countries...without the best public restrooms. the thing that bugs me the most is both kids putting their hands all over everything in the bathroom! yuck. i make sure they wash their hands thoroughly.
    mr2snafu

Answer by mr2snafu at 9:19 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• lol.. my daughter is only 2 but when she needs to use the potty... I pull out the clorox wipes that I have in our diaper bag. I'm not a huge germaphobe... but parisites can easily be picked up through fecal matter... even if you can't see it. And while pretty much everyone caries around paristies, they do cause damage and can compromise your digestive system and immune system.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:58 AM on Dec. 13, 2009