What is the best way to start the potty training process?

My daughter is 18 months and I'm starting to think about and prepare for potty training her and just wanted some people's tips and suggestions about starting potty training!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Me too! lol My dghter is 19 months. SHe is just now starting to touch her diaper when I say let's change your diaper. I dont think she is ready yet. I will get her a potty and show her what to do but Im not gonna rush her. Is she showing any interest in the bathroom yet? If so it might be time to start showing her. All kids are different though. Good luck!
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Books about potty time are great. Get an interesting toilet seat and step stool. Talk about it a lot and in a positive way. Let her see you potty and tell her exactly what you're doing then offer her a try. Praise her for anything she does right. Talk to her about big girl panties and let her pick them out. My DD was out of diapers at 21 mos.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:30 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• They are right. Set the potty up in the bathroom and let her get familiar with it. Tell her what it is, even if you don't think she understands....she does. Make it exciting and let lead you. I introduced my lil one to it at about 19mos. she wouldn't even acknowledge the seat at first and one day she sat on it and we went from there. Now she is almost there by herself, she will be 2 in Jan. Patience is a virture you will surely need it. Good Luck
    novice2008

Answer by novice2008 at 1:35 AM on Dec. 12, 2009