Why would churches have midnight services on Christmas? Was Jesus born at midnight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• because Catholics are a false religious system (closeted pagans) and they used to worship Mithra at Midnight on the 25 of december. The pope still worships mithra.
    Anonymous

• I don't think it's a midnight birth thing - I think it's just a celebrating the holiday the minute it comes thing - like celebrating new years at midnight.
    Anonymous

• I don't believe he was even born on December 25 although I know others do believe he was born on this day. People celebrate at midnight because that is what they made the choice to do. When I was younger there was Midnight Mass and Mass at dawn.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 10:44 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Jesus wasn't born this time of year, more likely summer I think has been the specualation. I don't know why the church would have a midnight service.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 10:44 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Just a little fun thing I heard the other day. The Pope is celebrating Mass at 10pm instead of midnight this year. I don't know if this is true I read it off an internet site no too long ago. The basic point is the stroke of midnight is not the real importance, it is the fact we are celebrating the Birth of Christ. Some of us celebrate the Mass on the 24th, some on the 25 and some on the 6th. God is timeless and spaceless and the day and hour are not the important aspects.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 10:50 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• I am the pope
    Anonymous

• I suspect it is just tradition. Nothing more, nothing less.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 11:19 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• Here is some knock your socks off info. Midnight doesn't mean 12:00 AM

Many Roman Catholics and Anglicans traditionally celebrate a midnight Mass (Eucharist) which begins either at or sometime before midnight on Christmas Day. This ceremony, which is held in churches throughout the world, marks the beginning of Christmas Day. A popular joke is to ask what time Midnight Mass starts, but in recent years some churches have scheduled their "Midnight" Mass as early as 7 p.m. In Spanish-speaking areas, the Midnight Mass is sometimes referred to as Misa del Gallo or "Missa do Galo", in Portuguese ("Rooster's Mass"). In the Philippines, this custom lasts for nine days, starting on December 16 and continuing daily up to December 24, during which Filipinos attend dawn masses, usually starting at around 4:00-5:00 a.m.
    Anonymous

• Finally someone gets that catholics are the false church and the whore of babylon
    Anonymous

• anons^^^...they never cease to amaze me.

Its tradition and a way to celebrate the birth of Jesus instead of the commercial Holiday.

happy hanukkah

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 8:50 AM on Dec. 12, 2009