Should I be worried about my DD's safety?

Her dad wants to move in with 2 or 3 of his friends. He also wants to keep her over night. I don't even want her over there because i don't trust any of them. do i have any say here? i don't want to keep her away from him, but i don't want anything bad happening to her. what do i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Why don't you trust them? Like is it because you don't really know them or is it because they drink and do drugs? If its the first one than you just have to remember that it is her dad I don't think any father would put their own daughter in a dangerous situation. If its the second one then yes I would be worried. I don't think that you have a say so.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:42 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• i don't trust them because i don't know them, and one of them does god knows what with alcohol and drugs but he says he doesn't..it just makes me nervous.
    Anonymous

• You don't have to let your daughter go anywhere your not comfortable with. If he can't live by himself or with people you trust than he doesn't get to see her unless your their. Tell him that. It's his daughter or his friends.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• You DO have a say. What is the custody situation?
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 11:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• The fact that you don't feel good about letting this happen IS your answer! Learn to trust your mother's instinct, it will never fail you. DO NOT let her do overnights in a house full of men. If he doesn't understand, that's too bad. Her safety is number one here, and he should get that as much as you do.
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 12:52 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• If you don't trust it, then file for a court hearing. Have them evaluate the living situation of the father. Then ask for no overnights until everyone in the house is drug tested for safety of a minor. It's worth a shot. Tell the father your concerns and that you want to work it out with him, but no over nights until then. Also, how old is your daughter? You should be teaching her things you're fearful of (like to tell you is someone hits her, harms her, or makes her feel uncomfortable.)

Good luck.
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 6:26 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• If he is not a proper father in your opinion then give him supervised visitation. I didn't let my x take my children until they were old enough to tell me if someone harmed them and I encouraged them to tattle and tell me everything. I didn't want my children keeping secrets. People who harm children usually tell little kids to keep that secret. My mom taught me to spill my guts and tell her everything. I did the same with my children. I got to decide if what they told me was important (adults touching them or being mean to them) or just kids playing and annoying one another.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:17 PM on Dec. 12, 2009