• In the Spotlight:

why are men so oblivious?

Tonight dh fell asleep around 8ish maybe a little after. Dd spit up all over me so I put her in her swing and woke dh up to at least listen for her. Not 5 min later he's passed out again and she starts crying. I let her get to a full blown cry and waited like 2 min before getting out and getting her. I'm just curious how guys can sleep through a baby less than 5 feet from their heads.

mom06and09

Asked by mom06and09 at 11:52 PM on Dec. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know. I guess sub consciously they know that you are around to take care of her so they don't wake up.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• They expect us to do it all I guess
    tinkerbellma21

Answer by tinkerbellma21 at 11:54 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• they're idiots, lol. i dont know why some men are like that. My dh is the opposite, if he hears our teenager coughing in her room, he'll wake up, so if the baby is making a little sound, he's up real fast.
    Anonymous

• my husband is like that too. it is so f-ing annoying.
    Anonymous

• OMG, I know, I used to literally have to push dh out of the bed so he would wake up and get the baby
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 11:57 PM on Dec. 11, 2009

• if i dont wake up dh will get up but it goes both ways for us sometimes i dont hear my ds at all and he does and sometimes he doesnt hear him and i do just gotta do things 50 50
    freshly.married

Answer by freshly.married at 12:15 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Cuz it"s hard to hear with your head up your a$$! lol j/k
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 12:17 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I think you are being unfair. Men and women are hard wired differently. Women are designed to be alert and sensitive to these things. Since the caveman, woman has been the one to care for children. We have extra sensitivities to these kinds of things that men don't. We were MADE that way.

Before having children you probably could have slept through a baby crying in the same room as you more so than you can today. I just naturally sleep lighter now that I have children. It's really annoying too because I will wake up if HE gets up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night (Like I don't wake up enough because of the kids and my own bathroom needs!).

Your husband's aren't intentionally being lazy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I'm actually lucky, when I need him to my man will do what he can and if she's just being stubborn he'll lay her down and pat her until she goes to sleep :)..(he's amazing)
    AlexxasMama

Answer by AlexxasMama at 12:58 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I swear as soon as the first baby comes out some kind of internal alarm switch is activated permanently for the rest of that mothers life because from the moment I became a mother I would wake up with the slightest noise, however my husband could sleep through anything.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 1:19 AM on Dec. 12, 2009