pedi heart specialist

my daughter is 2 yrs old and i have to take her to the pedi heart specialist cuz she keeps turning purple/blue and gets freezing cold they think there is something wrong with her heart what are come good questions to ask i need to make a list so i dont forget anything to ask

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The biggest thing is make them explain anything you don't understand and keep asking until you fully understand what you are being told. The main thing would be what if anything is wrong with the heart. Have them explain the flow of the heart and what the problem is compared to what is normal. Ask about treatment options and what meds will need to be taken now and what meds will need to be taken long term, if any. If they are looking at the possibility of surgery when, where, who would be doing it and how would it be done. My little one had 4 defects when she was born and surgery when she was 8 months. Were as that sounds horrible she had 3 common defects are a standard procedure fix. The last was very rare but thankfully something they were able to "take care of" though she will always have it. She is now a normal 4 yr old. Keep good records of everything you are told and if you need to talk message me.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 2:40 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I'm not sure. I had to take my son to a pediatric cardiologist for a heart murmur. It's innocent but they also found a hole between chambers in his heart that didn't close the way it should have but they felt it would close and apparently it has.

The only other thing I did want to mention just because it's so unusual, at least I'm told. when my daughter was turning three her lips kept turning blue/purple. I was sure there was something wrong with her heart or leukemia or something. I had her at the doctor several times, they listen to her heart and took a pulse ox and everything seemed normal. This was over the course of a couple of weeks, then she became lethargic. We took her back to the ped and she was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. NO ONE not even the endcrinologist had ever heard of blue lips as a symptom.

Just something to keep in the back of your mind.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 12:32 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• So you know there are also groups on here for Congenital heart Defects and Heart Babies. There are a few others you would want to search heart defects. Good luck to you and I hope you little one gets better soon.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 2:42 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• thats for all the great info and yes i did know about the group i apply to be a member but haven't got a message saying i was approved yet i dont remember which group but it was one
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:47 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• How long has this been going on with your daughter? Just wondering cuz my son has the same issue. He had an echo done and it came back normal but he still turns blue and purple all the time. He's been doing this since May and no one has been able to tell us why.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 3:17 AM on Dec. 15, 2009