What size bike do you buy for a 5 year old boy?

I went to order my sons Christmas present and realized that I had no idea they came in different sizes and it didn't say what size went to what size child! 12", 14", 16" This is probably stupid but I don't even know what that means. Is that the diameter of the wheels or something? Idk. Please help! He is almost 5 and is 44" tall. Happy Holidays!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Holidays

• lol Obviously I knew they came in different sizes. I meant that I thought it would be more obvious like it would say 5-7 years old or something on it. Just wanted to clarify!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I would suggest a 12" if this is the childs first bike.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:26 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• He needs to be able to sit on the seat an put his feet on the ground, but not have his knees bendingpast 90 degrees while pedaling. My daughters first bike was the 14 inch, because she was tall for her age.

Heres a great site with a chart: http://bicycling.about.com/od/howtoride/a/bike_sizes.htm

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 2:47 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I wouldn't get the 12 inch as previously suggested. My son got his 12 inch at 4, and he outgrew it by 5. We skipped the 14 and got him a 16" he does fit it and loves it.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:01 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• It depends on how tall he is. His waist should be even with the seat. He also needs to be able to sit on the seat and be able to touch the ground.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• My 5 year old grandkids is riding a 16"
    toyota

Answer by toyota at 4:44 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I would get the 12" unless he is really co-ordinated. Our son started on a 10" at 3 and at 5 we jumped to a 14".
    It is fine for him with training wheels but we would like to take them off and the bike is too tall for him to do that safely.
    He is around 43" at 6.

Hope this helps.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 3:33 AM on Dec. 13, 2009