Taking a baby out in the cold...

Sometimes it's a necessity that I need to go someplace. My transportation is generally the city bus, unless I can get a ride (rare). So there's a lot of time spent walking to and from the bus stop, waiting at the bus stop, so forth. Is it harmful to take my 8 month old in the cold too much? I bundle her up really good with beanie, layers underneath her jacket, two pants, blankies. What else can I do? She has gotten a runny nose and I wonder if it's from our outdoor trips?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• prob as cold as it has been babies bodies can adjust to the cold as well as we can but when its necessary then its necessary do u have a carseat cover i got mine form walmart for 15 bucks and u could get it shipped to ur house so u dont have to go to the store
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 1:30 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• We all get a runny nose when exposed to cold don't we? Just because the babies noses are runny does not mean they are sick.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• U NEED TO KEEP HER IN THE HOUSE AS MUCH AS U CAN ! SHE WILL IN UP IN THE ER OR THE DR OFFICE ! IF U LIVE IN ABILENE TEX I WILL GIVE U A RIDE WHERE EVER U NEED TO GO ! SEND ME A INVITE AND ILL GIVE U MY CELL# ! ! ! I USE TO TAKE A BUS EVERY WHERE I NEEDED TO GO AND KNOW I HAVE MY LIC- AND MY OWNE TRUCK ! ! WRITE ME ! !
    lightbulbe

Answer by lightbulbe at 1:36 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• colds are caused by viruses not cold weather. The reason they are more common in winter is because A) more people tend to stay cooped up indoors in the winter and B) letting your core temp drop can weaken the immune system. As long as your L/O is bundled up she should be fine. take hand sanitizer and keep you and your l/o germ free that way.
    remember, cold weather does not cause colds. Viruses do.
    Bennett121

Answer by Bennett121 at 1:40 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• That lifestyle will not harm a baby. It is not he cold chill that will harm them. Rather the people infected with colds and flus on the public but. Get your child vaccinated and carry hand sanitizer everywhere.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 1:51 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Babies are highly portable little creatures. The carseat cover is a great idea, nothing gets through those things. Just be sure baby is nice and warm, and don't get people be touching and hovering over him - that's where the germs come from!
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 2:31 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Cold weather and cold exposure does not and cannot cause illness, so you don't need to worry about that.
    To me she seems a little overdressed... I worry that she might get overheated when you aren't in the cold because of all the extra layers. I would make sure that when you dress her that you can easily take off some of the layers when you get to your destination.
    If she rides in her car seat I would just use a shower cap cover on her car seat... along with her normal clothing and possibly a blanket she should be plenty warm.
    If she isn't in a car seat maybe a full body snowsuit would work better so you can take it off easily.

To keep her healthy... don't let other's touch her when you are out and if you use carts or high chairs make sure you wipe them down first... most stores right now have wipes you can use on carts.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:10 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• It's fine. Actually in the Netherlands they purposefully set babies outside (bundled up of course) so they can adjust to the cold. And they do it for hours. So it is perfectly fine to have a baby sit there while waiting for a bus.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:59 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• The contrast between the warm bus and the outside temps may make her nose run. Some say it lowers immunity but I don't know about that. I would just do the thing with the removable layers to make sure she isn't too warm indoors.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 11:21 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• As long as you dress her appropriately for the weather she will be fine!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:06 PM on Dec. 12, 2009