Do you raise your child to believe in Santa or the meaning of Christmas?

I've been questioning should I raise my children to believe they need to be good all year to recieve gifts from Santa or the meaning of Christmas in celebrating the life of Christ?

novice2008

Asked by novice2008 at 1:58 AM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Holidays

• You can do both! Santa is a guest at Jesus' birthday party!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I don't see the need to choose one or the other. I was raised on the TRUE meaning of Christmas and we had a Santa too! Great memories, which I plan on my children sharing as well!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I raise my children to know the true origins of Christmas. We celebrate Yule which is the TRUE reason why you probably have a tree up in your home right now. We don't really do the Santa thing ...although we could. Because he's got some Pagan origins too.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:15 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Actually my kids celebrate christmas in the christian sense, they believe in santa and they also celebrate Yule to a small extent (their god mother is pagan). I have also given them a basic understanding of other celebrations this time of year.

There is no reason why you have to pick one way or the other unless you have strong feelings for or against certain things.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:23 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Both. As far as my son is, "Santa" is not necessarily a person. Santa is the feeling of believing. Santa is about giving and the holiday spirit. Giving to others, sharing with those that don't have all that he does. Volunteering time, giving to the Salvation Army or other charities that help those in need. He has heard. "If you don't believe you don't recieve" for long enough that he knows what the spirit or feeling of Christmas is.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• The true meaning of christmas comes as they grow you teach them little by little but all kids in school think santa is real and then your kids will miss the magig of christmas those few years they do believe. The meaning comes later they are just worried about presents until they understand and that takes time.
    JHawk83

Answer by JHawk83 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• my kids know the true meaning of christmas they do get gifts but we don't go overboard we enjoy family friends and the birth of Jesus Christ
    Anonymous

• We do Santa, and my DD will know that the true meaning of Christmas in our family is togetherness.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• My kids know that we celebrate Christmas because its a celebration of Jesus birth, but we also do Santa. There is no need to choose one or the other if you don't want to. To my DD who is 5, Santa is still the big man in the red suit who brings her presents. To her, Jesus is God's son and we have Christmas to celebrate his birthday. She believes wholly in both things. To my boys, Santa is more the spirit of giving, and Jesus is the reason we celebrate. They love going to the candlelight ceremony on Christmas eve, and then driving around looking at decorations and going home to put cookies out for Santa. They can have a combination of different beliefs at Christmas, but I do believe in teaching the REAL meaning above all else.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Both
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 11:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2009