asthma

yesterday i found out my 4 year old son has asthma. so he has to be put on a inhaler. :-( I feel so bad for him. Does anyone know anything about asthma? I have to wait until Monday to get his inhaler. the doctor didn't tell me much about it. do i have to change his life style and keep him from being too active?

sweetheart1207

Asked by sweetheart1207 at 2:16 AM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Health

• You do not have to change his lifestyle. You just have to watch him for signs of an asthma attack. I have asthma and just know what I can and cannot do. I have issues when it is very humid or very cold. Exercise is actually good for people with asthma, it helps build up lung capacity. When he gets a cold, they will last longer and may develop into bronchitits. You need to ask the doctor for more info, that is their job. I know people with asthma that have run mini marathons!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I have an 18 yr that has it since she was 7...........PM if you have questions or need support.....
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:23 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• My brother was about a year and half old when our parents found out he has asthma. He had to get shots weekly for several years, he stopped having to have them when he was around a teenager. With treatment most children will live normal lives with asthma. Although you never outgrow asthma, many people symptoms lesson as they age. My brother is now 28 and requires no meds for his asthma. However, he may when he is older.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:36 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• My daughter is 7, has had asthma for 5 years. We have learned though scary in the beginning it is managable over time. With the daily maintenance inhaler and nebulizer when she gets a cold, things are pretty normal for her. She does cough a little more during extreme excercise like running in gym class but we dont keep her from participating. Taking the meds has just become a daily routine like brushing your teeth. Colds last a little longer but again keeping on top of the treatments really helps. PM if you have any questions!
    formykids373

Answer by formykids373 at 5:49 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Asthma can be caused by food sensitivities. Ask for a Food Panel Rast test for IgG & IgE to rule this out.
    I thought I had developed asthma a couple of years ago. Then I went gluten free and I could breathe again.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:58 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• thanks for all the great anwsers, now I won't have to worry so much. thanks!
    sweetheart1207

Answer by sweetheart1207 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 12, 2009