STD all of the sudden?

My dh is in the military & living in the barracks. We've been together for over four years and I've never, ever tested positive for any STD. However, he has told me that he has some bumps "down there" and that he noticed them while grooming. He says he has never cheated and said that he researched it on WebMD & that it could possibly be genital warts. I don't necessarily believe that its come up all of the sudden but I don't believe I have it/them. I have had a baby within the last year and all of my check ups come up clean for any type of STD. I'm worried and nervous and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular STD or any advice to share. I'd appreciate no bashing, since I find that to be counterproductive. One person that I've talked to for advice said she thinks its communal, since they share showers, toilets, towels, etc. I don't buy that, it seems farfetched to me. Thanks for any help/replies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 AM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Health

• my DH actually had the same thing happen and he was freaking out (hypochondriac) so we went to the doctor and we found out they were glands that clean the penis- they come and go. it's kind of like a skin condition on the penis i guess. IDK it's weird and kind of gross.

another possibility- allergic reaction? i don't know how or why but you can get bumps and hives from allergic reactions. if it does turn out to be genital warts make sure you do a ton of research and figure out why they're there (just to make sure he really was faithful) i know stuff like herpies and clamidia can be passed on non-sexually, but it's very rare and i've never heard that about warts.
    Hali_Taylor

Answer by Hali_Taylor at 5:14 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Genital warts look well, warty, not like smooth bumps, you can be a carrier of HPV and have passed it to him, sometimes it does lay dormant, it is more likely that you are the carrier, you can be and be symptom free, I would suggest a trip to the doctor for both of you, this does not mean he cheated, the doctor can explain it to you!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:02 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• It can be completely normal or it could be an STD, perhas not even Genital Warts but even Herpes. I know I thought I had herpes from a previous boyfriend, I had what I thought was a bad outbreak about a year ago...my doctor didn't do a culture because I wasn't insured at the time, but looked at it and said "Yep that's herpes" and gave me a script. Which did clear it up. So, when I became pregnant in April and went to my first OB checkup I asked if that bloodwork tested for genital herpes and he said it's not typicaly added to the blood work. I requested it to be done because I thought I had it, and I was tested for type 1 and type 2. The test came back negative. So, I in fact do not have herpes. And he said the "outbreak" could have been any number of things.

But have him get a complete workup to test for all of them. Herpes and others can lay dormant for years or always, many never realise they have something
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:14 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• And it can completely be transmitted in a non-sexual way. Such as a parent with a cold sore or outbreak touching it, not washing their hands and making contact with another person or object that another person touches soon after. Some diseases, such as herpes, will "shed" without any symptoms. So, someone with herpes can be infectious anytime without having an outbreak or realizing it and transmit it.....I have to admit with my 6 months or so of believing I DID have herpes I did my research on it and various STD's because that's just how I am. So, have him get tested just to be sure and hopefully everything comes back completely normal and the bumps are nothing. But better safe than sorry!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:16 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I have been married for 5 years and with him for 7. I already have an 18mos DD, so I've been poked and prodded during my pregnancy. Anyway, I just found out a few months ago that I have HPV, it was discovered during an abnormal PAP. Doc said it can go inactive for many years before showing any symptoms. Its like a cold sore 80% of the population has it, but only some people get outbreaks. HPV is the most common STD.

From the CDC website:

The HPV tests on the market are only used to help screen for cervical cancer. There is no general test for men or women to check one’s overall “HPV status,” nor is there an HPV test to find HPV on the genitals or in the mouth or throat. But HPV usually goes away on its own, without causing health problems. So an HPV infection that is found today will most likely not be there a year or two from now.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• ...and here is the website:

http://www.cdc.gov/STD/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm#symptoms   Check out the signs of HPV.

Also want to add that when I found out I was afraid to tell my DH because I though he would believe I'd cheated on him.  Which would never happen. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• An STD can lay dormant for a long time. He could have gotten an STD years ago and it is just showing itself. Call the doctor and have him tested and then YOU get tested and both get treated.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:59 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Thank you all very much for your replies. I did some research after I post the question & I suspect it's HPV. I've made a doctor's appointment for myself and my dh is going in to see a doctor as well. Thanks for all the information & not bashing. It's very much appreciated :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Hey remember its really not to big of a deal as far as STDs. Just make sure you keep up on your PAPs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I have never heard of communal STD's. My guess is that you need to investigate further. Sounds like an affair to me.
    tanya64

Answer by tanya64 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 12, 2009