Help

I've been married 4 1 and 1/2 years and i have 2 kids with my ex and 1 on the way with my husband. My husband has a dog that is 11 years old and has health problems and went i try 2 talk 2 him about the dog he starts comparing his dog to my kids. I think the dog needs 2 be put down and he thinks the dog is ok. My husband told me that if he puts the dog down the he will rezent me and the kids and will take it out on my son if he says anything about the dog. But when we discuss about possibly putting the dog down then he gets offended. Basically what I'm trying to explain is he does not love my children, he justs tolerates them because they're mine. This is an ongoing arguement. What should i do?

tml3

Asked by tml3 at 4:49 AM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• maybe u shouldn't have gotten pregnant, if thats how he feels
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• :( Sorry to hear that he's acting kind of like a kid. I can understand his attachment to the dog though. Just let him deal with the dog himself. (Unless you're the one at home all day with the dog) My husband calls our dog brother to our kids, which is weird to me... and I'm like "No way! That's just a dog!"
    i hope his dog is not suffering.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 7:24 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• These are the times you need to constantly remind yourself that this is the man you chose out of all the men in the world to marry. You need to remember those traits that made you love him so much that you would choose him. Everybody has faults, and when they rear their ugly heads, we must remind ourselves that we have them, too. The dog will die before too long, so learn to put up with the dog. I assume he had the dog when you married him, so you knew it was a part of the package. You can stop many of the arguments by just accepting that the dog is staying.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:40 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• he loves the dog so let it live out its years. He will resent you. To you it may be just a dog but it may have been his companion all his life. If i were you i wouldn't bring it up. plus i am sure the kids are attached to the dog as well so let it be in there lives a little longer too. I understand where you are coming from but you must be compassionate to your husbands feelings on this one..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Tell your husband that you understand his feelings about the dog and you won't bring up the euthanasia again but that you want him to understand that it is very hurtful for him to compare your kids to the dog (any dog) and it gives you the feeling that he only tolerates your kids and has no love for them. Remind him that he chose your family when he chose you and reassure him that you know you did too, regarding the dog. Basically, agree to give in on the dog, but let him know you do not appreciate or accept the comparison.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 10:44 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Ok ya he aint right for saying all that. The best thing if he has issue with putting the dog down then let it happen naturaly. He has had that dog like a child for 11 years put yourself in his shoes about how he feels about the dog. It is not rite to take it out on you and the kids and he shouldnt do that, but try to see his point and just dont bring the issue up.
    Anonymous