Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did you recieve notification that ex is filing for bankruptcy (child support related)?

I think my ex may be filing bankruptcy. Will I be notified if he does not owe me back money for Child Support? What info is provided if they do contact me?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 AM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (6)
  • One exception to bankruptcy law is that a few things are not written off. Child support and student loans are a few examples. If he does owe you money dont worry you will still get it. He is the father of those kids and whether he can pay his other bills or not the judge will not excuse him from supporting his children. Whether you recieve notification of this all, maybe. I would try to contact his lawyer and let them know your situation.

    Answer by formykids373 at 7:24 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

  • Sorry I am the OP. I am not worried about not receiving the CS because of the bankruptcy, I want to know if I will be notified and is so what is in the letter. I read online that I am suppose to recieve a letter either way but I have not yet.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

  • I was notified when my ex filed. They have to give you the opportunity to claim any debt owed to you. Child support is NOT part of bankrupcy though. If he does owe any back child support they wont let him file bankrupcy - it is wierd but I actually went to a lawyer about it because I was confused. I didn't recieve the letter until two months after he requested to file - it takes quite a while. They gave me a month to respond.

    Answer by cat1622 at 9:42 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

  • Child support does not get resolved through bankruptcy. If he owes and files then he will still owe when it is done.

    Answer by JHawk83 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

  • His wage is garnished and it then goes through the court and they pay me. He is not behind on support. It says online that I will be contacted if he does file. Why would they contact me if he does not owe back pay? I am just wondering why they would bother contacting me and not the courts where the money goes? I was hoping someone has been through this and could tell me if they recieved a letter about the NCP filing and what it involves.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

  • Here they only contact you if you were once married and there is the possibly of past debts that need to be added into the equation.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.