When you ask a question... (Christians of all denominations only)

Do you intend to convert a person to your way of thinking, or do you only seek to explain your view?

Lexylex

Asked by Lexylex at 7:37 AM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It takes more than one conversation to convert someone, so I guess explain my view. My in-laws are lutheran and I am catholic. I've never experienced anything like the animosity I get from them. They once told my husband if you are going to be lutheran be lutheran if you are going to be catholic be catholic. Well, he attends church with me and I attend with him. I've always been taught to respect another's beliefs. I am very liberal and believe in the goodness of God. I have this feeling we will all see each other in heaven anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• as a christian it seems to me from what I read on cafemom ,that 99% of the christian posters on here are trying to verbally beat others down and in to seeing ONLY THIER point of view. Sad for christians to be behaving this way online.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I just express my point of view. I am an Orthodox although my parents were not religious at all. When I was a kid, about 8-9 years old I decided I wanted to be an Orthodox. My parents didn't want me to be one, but I really wanted a Cristening, so they gave in in the end. So, I basically grew up in a house where I was the only religious one, so I have learnt to respect others' beliefs and not try to convert them to the way I'm thinking. I don't even know if I can do that.
    lovemytwinsters

Answer by lovemytwinsters at 8:33 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• i disagree with anon15..i don't see that high of a percentage...are we on the same CM?
    when i ask a question, whether its in person, or on a website, its to learn something, or to hopefully have someone bring me out of confusion on certain topics. a lot of times, i'll hear or read a phrase that isn't familiar, or an idea that totally boggles me, so i ask. (on cm, my hope is responses will be straight up and helpful, not just wasted internet.)
    i don't think i've ever converted anyone! lol.. even people belonging to the same group/school of thought will disagree sometimes.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:46 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• When I ask a question, it's not to convert or to express my point of view. When I ask a question, it's to find out what someone else thinks. Now, when I answer a question, it's to express what I think :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:08 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• just to explain my point of view...im not out to convert anyone, especially over the internet.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:48 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• When I ask a question, it's to find out what someone else thinks. Now, when I answer a question, it's to express what I think :-)
    --------------
    That's the way this is supposed to work, isn't it? lol
    I phrased the OP as I did because there are some who ask questions seeking to beat down any replies differing from their own views. I see this online and IRL,and I'm sure others do as well.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 9:55 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• When I was a kid, about 8-9 years old I decided I wanted to be an Orthodox.
    -----------
    Did you know anyone who practiced this religion, or did you read about it somewhere, or...? I ask because I'm interested in the ways children seek and/or find faith.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 10:00 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• as a christian it seems to me from what I read on cafemom ,that 99% of the christian posters on here are trying to verbally beat others down and in to seeing ONLY THIER point of view.
    ----------------
    I don't believe it's quite that high either. I've met many Christians on here who respect views they don't share.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 10:05 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I only want to explain my views and answer the OP.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:11 AM on Dec. 12, 2009