rash patches?

my 18month old has been getting these patches on her body every were, they come and go for about 2 months now, the doc gave us cream but it isnt working. evenno lotion isnt helping, oatmeal baths help a little sometimes. should i make her an appotment? also her chin and cheeks have been getting realy red and blistery.she doesnt drool.

angelairelan

Asked by angelairelan at 8:53 AM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would skip right over your regular doctor and make an appointment with an allergist (find a certified pediatriac allergist). You could be dealing with a contact allergy (cats and detergents are the most common offenders), but my guess is that it is a food allergy. Food allergies are very tricky (and serious) and are way too hard to figure out without allergy testing. You can have an allergic reaction immediately while eating the food or even up to a day or two later. You can eat something you're allergic to for a couple of days and not react, but eat it a few days in a row and react.

I had food allergy testing done as a grown adult at the age of 24 and was shocked to find out that I had been eating foods that I was allergic to every day! I broke out in occasional rashes that my general dr couldn't figure out. I also got sick a lot. Since avoiding the offending foods I've been a lot more healthy and rash free.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:02 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• ezema (sp?) winter monthes are the worst for the dry itchy skin irratations. Aquaphor is a good (but pricey) ointment at the local drug store that will help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• eczema!! i was cursed with it from the time I was born. it does not get better it is uncurable and there is nothing you can do. Children, unless cursed like me, usally grow out of it, but some will have it forever. The best thing that helps me is Aveeno with cooling action. It is the best out there that prevents iching and reduces symptoms. Do not let them give cortisteroid to a child it prevents the liver from working. Good Luck you will need it. But a good thing you could try is keeping the air moist and crisco. i know it sounds wierd but crisco works to help heal the rash. It is an old home remedy from my grandma.
    JHawk83

Answer by JHawk83 at 12:59 PM on Dec. 12, 2009