how to i take my baby's bottle away? what did u do?

what were some resources you used to take baby's bottle away.. shes already 1 and a half...

Hyde3

Asked by Hyde3 at 9:43 AM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I took my 1st kids away by just throwing them away,the second was my daughter and she needed sippy cups instead you can get them at walmart and they are about 1 dollar a piece and they are kinda like bottles but work great,then take them away at night.......good luck!
    moodywife

Answer by moodywife at 9:46 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I went out of town for a girls trip and Daddy broke them of the bottle-no problem. They equated me as the softy that would give in so I could not do it on my own. It was great bonding for them and my husband. He also potty trained them the same way. He is still proud that he is the ONE that did those things and the boys are 10 and 15.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• BTW- 18 months is not too terribly old for the bottle. You can start with small steps like no bottle outside the house, then no bottle during the day to wean them off. A baby at 18 months with a bottle at bedtime is not such an abnormal thing.

Also, they change quickly, so if they are having a total fit, wait a few weeks and try again. Sometimes the second (third, fourth or fifth) time is the charm!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Once my son had figued out his sippy cups we just didn't offer the bottle. We started with meals, he only got his sippy cup. And never during the day. Then we phased it out for nap time. And finally bed time we just didn't offter it when we would snuggle and read books... he never missed it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:45 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• My kids are 20 months apart and when I was making two bottles and changing two diapers all day long I told my son that the kitty cat stole his bottle and we did not have a cat. He never asked for it again unless he seen it. I just told him he was a big boy and didn't need it anymore.
    JHawk83

Answer by JHawk83 at 12:51 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I just stopped giving them to her. I started introducing sippy cups (while still givin her a bottle) and gradually stopped with the bottle around 1 1/2...at that point, I just got rid of them.....if they want something to drink bad enough, they will drink out of a sippy when they have no other option. good luck :-)
    CTC7122006

Answer by CTC7122006 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I started by offering a sippy cup and once I saw my kids could drink out of one I just stopped giving them a bottle. They cried about for a little bit but they got over when they saw I wasnt giving in.
    kendra1417

Answer by kendra1417 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Just don't offer a bottle. They may not like it at first but once they realize that they aren't getting one they will drink from a cup.

It's simple. Promise.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 8:55 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Ya know I felt so awful for letting my 15 month old still have a bottle but she is now 17 months and no more bottle. I stressed about it I felt like we were behind and my husband said she will be alright, So we took it away during the day first and she still had the one at night, then we got rid of that too. Honestly it wasn't a big deal and I should have just chilled out about it so my advice is just slowly take it away and things will work out fine.
    melk819

Answer by melk819 at 10:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Well our doctor said by 15 months a baby needs to be off the bottle. With my son he was beyond super easy getting off the bottle. With my daughter she was alot more stubborn about it and then last month I just took all the bottles away and just kept offering her the sippy cups. She hated it at first and had a bad couple days about it but she got use to it and now is off the bottle. I got the kind from Walmart. The Nuby brand that are about $1. And if you are on WIC and they give you a bad time about it dont worry just remind yourself that Tom Cruise's kid is 3 1/2 years old and still uses one. LOL
    SunFlower1981

Answer by SunFlower1981 at 6:51 PM on Dec. 13, 2009