How can I get my 3 1/2 year old to take his medicine?

He's never given me any trouble before but he really needs to take it; its a post-op antibiotic, 3x/day for the next 2 weeks!! I've tried everything!! Please help!!

Kristin617

Asked by Kristin617 at 10:14 AM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You could get walgreens to add a flavor, or put it in his juice? good luck
    ashlee31627

Answer by ashlee31627 at 10:18 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Thanks...it is bubblegum flavored, its good, haha, and I put it in everything, ice cream, pudding, juice...I think is more of a stubborn thing and it has been taking me literally 1 whole hour everytime for 4 days!! I hate fighting with him about it and he gets really upset as soon as I even mention it.
    Kristin617

Answer by Kristin617 at 10:29 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• well i threaten my kids about taking it to lol i tell them they can take it this way now or i can bring them to the dr and let them give it to them in a big huge shot in there butt lol
    ashlee31627

Answer by ashlee31627 at 10:36 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• My daughter used to be terrible about taking any kind of liquid meds, to the point of throwing up as soon as it touched the back of her throat, I was so happy when she was old enough to swallow pills. Anyways, the only way I was able to get anything in her was to mix the med in a small amount of chocolate pudding, It masks any taste of the med, and what kid doesnt like chocolate pudding? I only used enough pudding to mix the med in, like a tablespoon or so, and she never had a problem with it after that. I hope it works for you.
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 10:44 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I didnt see where you already tried pudding, dont tell him you are putting his med in it, just go mix it up out of his sight, and then give him the pudding. Sometimes that helps too, if they dont know they are getting medicine
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 10:46 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Sometimes my 3 year old takes meds with no problem, other times, specially if he's tired or not feeling well he will NOT take it. Sometimes we make a sandwhich and put it on that. Put it in a little bit of a drink. Just mix it into something he wants where he can't see.....
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 12:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• If mine refuses to take it then I mix it in with his food and don't tell him.
    If he refuses the food I tell him that one way or another he's getting the medicine so he can either drink it out of the little cup himself or I can pin him down and make him drink it.
    He usually decides that it's much better when he does it himself.
    If it's particularly gross tasting then I'll give him a little treat after for taking it, like a few chocolate chips.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:46 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• 1) bribery- take it and get 5 m&m's
    2) mix it in a little chocolate pudding. An amount you know he will Finnish
    3) Be honest 'if you don't take it you'll get really sick and then we will have to go back to the hospital and that would make me very sad and you won't feel very good either.'
    4) Half honest may work to. 'If you don't take then we will have to get shots instead. I know you don't want to have to get a shot every day!' May not be a good idea if you can't follow through I guess...hmmm... Call his doctor and see what they say.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:24 PM on Dec. 13, 2009