Ok gals! I am new on here, but all morning I have read these posts and seriously y’all are mean to each other. I just have to say what I have to say about this one issue that is really bothering me.I am on public assistance and have been for a while. Do you realize that working a job making 8.50 an hour I still qualified for food stamps, Medicaid, WIC, housing, and childcare assistance? It is not easy raising children today and the costs are outrageous.

At the beginning I did not work then after my second was born I got a job. I still qualified for PA even though my husband and I was working. Then my husband and I split up and I was a single mother of two. Let me tell you that were the hardest thing I have ever been through. And no I do not like that I am on PA, but it helps. I was working a part time job, tutoring for my TANF check at the GED center, going to full time online school to be a preschool teacher, and raising my kids. It was not easy at all, but at least I was trying. Now, I am a full time student and a stay at home mother on full time public assistance. The plus about staying home is my children get more of my time and I am not working for nothing. When I was doing all of that other stuff, I was spending more in food, childcare, and gas than I was making from my job. I was bringing home around 1200.00 a month. When you start working your PA drops drastically

JHawk83

Asked by JHawk83 at 10:51 AM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• You are so right, and I don't think you are doing anything wrong. This system should be there for peole who really need it. I am glad you are able to get all this assistance, my dd, who has 3 children and trying to go to school full time, is having a hard time getting any help from the system. She had day care assistance, then they dropped it because she wasn't working. How can she go to school full time and work? She has 3 little girls at home. I help her all I can , but I really think the way the system is set up they want you to get stuck in it, it doesn't seem they want you to try to better your life. I have nothing against mothers getting PA...that's what it's there for right??
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 10:57 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• You don't have to explain anything to anyone. You're doing the best you can for your family and that's all that matters! I'm sorry you came on here and had to see how caddy some women can be. Unfortunately that's how the internet is, they hide behind it, and feel they can say what they want without consequences. If they were in the real world and said those things to someones face I'm sure they wouldn't say it again... Don't stress over it, come here for advice and give advice when you can. That's what it's all about.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:59 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• clapping

ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 10:59 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• No one has an issue with the way you are using PA, the trouble starts on this site when people are on PA with no life plan. I doubt very seriously if you would get bashed for your situation. Keep in mind, when people are bashing PA, they are not talking about people like you. They are talking about the PA lifers as they are called. I would assume that since you are working so hard to better your life, you would most likely agree that those getting over are not doing the right thing. Do not lump yourself in with the abusers and you will not get your feelings hurt. Best of luck to you!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 11:00 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• That why planning and prioritizing your life early is very important. Having children could have placed in the back burner say when your two had had careers to provide a better life for you and your future children.

So, what your question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Don't pay attention to Anon:02...
    Photobucket
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• People that have children under the age of six are best of to stay home a live off of the system because it costs more than they can make to send them to a babysitter or daycare. Yeah, you should not abuse the system, but if you want to stay home with your kids then you should be able to. A lot of people do think that if you choose to stay home then you should not be able to get PA, but really if I can get it legally with two people working then what is the difference? If a mother feels that her best place is with her child then I don't care if she sits on her but for six years living off the state as long as she is with her kids. At the beginning that is what I did, i could not afford to stay at home, but I did and got PA, but then I had to get out of the house. That is why I went to work then I had to work because I was on my own, but if I had the choice I wouldn't work until my kids were in school. But thats just me.
    JHawk83

Answer by JHawk83 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• My question is what is so wrong with accepting help so that mom's can be at home with their children?
    JHawk83

Answer by JHawk83 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Jhawk- the flaw in your reasoning is that since you can not provide for the family on your own, at some point you will need to work and make decent money. If you pull yourself out of the work force for a number of years you are missing out on getting employable job skills and moving up the pay structure. A good wage is not going to just fall in your lap when you are ready to work. You need to work your way up the pay scale. The sooner the better. It will be hard to improve your life if you are not out there getting skills. Most of us making a decent wage started at the bottom and sacrificed to move up and provide for our families.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

Because providing a better life for your kids in the long run is your responsibility. If you are in a situation like yours, staying home is not going to provide the most benefit for your kids in the long run. You need skills, a job and a foot in to the economy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Dec. 12, 2009