Which is best after bottle for MY baby?

Lily is breastfed, but now wants to drink water too. She doesn't want her bottle anymore and she doesn't seem to understand straws or sippy cups. She just tips it up like a real glass and waits for it. Is there a product out there that allows her to do this without dumping a glass of something on herself in the process? Or is it better to try the straw or no drip sippys? Please lend your experience!

cainjes

Asked by cainjes at 11:11 AM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I breastfeed three kids. None of them took bottles. After about six months I started giving them a sippy cup. These are the ones that worked best for us during that baby stage.
    Photobucket
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:14 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I should add that she will be 1 next month. She's walking, starting to potty train, and climbing. She usually figures things out pretty fast, but she seems frustrated with the cups and gives up, tipping them up like a real glass.
    cainjes

Answer by cainjes at 11:23 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I should have said these cups don't spill out. She has to suck on them like a bottle. But once she gets used to it you can remove the spill proof thingy and she can use it more like a cup.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:28 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Hmm how about trying the tumbler cups.. They're not spill proof but they do have covers and she doesnt have to suck much to get it out.

These are the ones Im talking about http://thesoftlanding.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/basic-sippy-tumbler-65630.jpg

Gee with my older son he was only breastfed for 3 months for reasons.. but it took him a long time to find a cup he liked lol. Like he was 2 by the time we found one he wanted to use..
    dizzyseagull

Answer by dizzyseagull at 12:17 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• My son did the best with the the nuby sippy cups... it has a soft spout and he just has to kind of bite down to get it to come out
    But if you want something that kind of drips.... just look for cups that DON'T say they don't drip... we have a few take and toss ones with animal face lids and they don't have any kind of stopper... they will drip if you hold them upside down but won't pour everything out like if didn't have a lid at all.
    And then we have the tupperware cups and they are about the same... nothing fancy.
    Or you could teach her to use a reular cup... just put small amount of water in it to start with
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:42 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• DD is 1 and we use a bunch; the ones I like best for teaching her to use real cups are the nuby ones with the removable filters and handles. We put the filter on fast when she is feeding herself, and if we are trying to teach her to sip we either take the filter out and show her how to tip aand sip, or we take the lid off so she can "drink" like a big girl. Then if we go somewhere, we can just put the filter back in to avoid her pouring things out everywhere. The only problem I have with them is that if the child throws or drops the cup hard enough, the filter or lid will come off, then the liquid goes everywhere!
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:19 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Paige figured out a straw but not on her own. I filled up a take and toss straw cup all the way and tipped it so that straw would pour in her mouth. As I lowered it down she started to suck on it. Alex just the Nuby soft spout cup. I filled it all the way and he bit the spout which made it pour.
    Just keep at it she'll get it. Shes one smart cookie!
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 6:01 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I would take the spill proof valve out and give her the cup like that in the highchair until she starts undertsanding it :)
    ballerina_06

Answer by ballerina_06 at 9:43 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Thank you for your suggestions! We spent some time in Walmart last night and ended up getting the take and toss cups. She's doing great with them! She just holds it up and drinks out of it. no sucking or biting required!
    cainjes

Answer by cainjes at 5:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2009