Giving away my cats

I have 2 cats I love dearly. But we are moving out of the country very soon, and do not have enough money for shots, microchips, payment for shipping, quarantine, etc. I have the option of surrendering them to a no kill shelter in my area. I feel absolutely horrible doing so, but we seriously can not afford these cats, and dont have any family who can either. Anybody been in the same situation? Have you had to give away your animals due to financial difficulty? How do you deal with losing your best friends? Did it work out for the better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Pets

• I'm sorry you are faced with this decision.  If it were me, first I'd ask all of my friends/family if they can take them or if they have any friends/family that can take them.  If that doesn't work, I'd put an ad on Craigslist (but please ask for a re-homing fee) and/or Petfinder.  Good luck.  I really hope you are able to find them a good home.

CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:07 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I had to leave my 2 cats with my mom when we moved out of state and it killed me. They had been my "kids" before we had kids. It worked out for the best they were happy being moms kids and they had gotten to an age where little ones running around annoyed them.

Maybe you could ask around to see if anyone knows someone who would be willing to take them, it would break my heart to take mine to a shelter. I have found homes by asking around in the past when i have found kittens or older cats.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:58 AM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I was forced to give away my cat Sugar when I was younger. My father was stationed in Germany and he paid to send he there, but when it came time to come home he could not pay to bring her home. I cried for weeks. It is very hard, but if you can find a home instead of a sheltor then i think you will feel better about. Put up flyers or take out an ad if you have time before you move. Try to find them a home and I think you will find it better for you and them. Good Luck!
    JHawk83

Answer by JHawk83 at 11:59 AM on Dec. 12, 2009