estrogen and progestin (sp) birth control while breastfeeding?

my OBGYN prescribed a dual hormone birth control pill with estrogen- what are your views on the safety of this while excl. bFing? should i ask for something else?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 12:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My OB wouldn't prescribe anything other than the progestrone only mini pill even if you begged her. She says that the estrogen isn't safe for the baby while BFing, and it can be even worse if you're nursing a boy baby.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:57 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Tell her you want the mini pill, ie no estrogen. The estrogen can be very bad for the baby while you are bfing. You should take (the mini pill) it until you wean, I think.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• thats what i hear, i'm baffled as to why it was prescribed and i'm tempted to even fill it
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• If you take anything while bfing you are ONLY supposed to take the mini pill. Like the pp said the regular pill is not safe for the baby. Be careful taking anything though. I was put on the mini pill and my milk dried up- I stopped taking it and my milk came right back, but for the rest of the time I wa bf-15 months and 3 years I could not take any bc pills.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 1:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Estrogen will kill your milk supply! "Progestin-only contraceptives are the preferred choice for breastfeeding mothers when something hormonal is desired or necessary." Check out http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/birthcontrol.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:57 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• ok but

Safety: Both progestin (progesterone) and estrogen are approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) for use in breastfeeding mothers. See below for additional information on side effects related to lactation.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:13 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I took the regular pill after my daughter was born, because I got pregnant on the minipill. I had no problems breastfeeding and breastfed her for a year which was when I chose to wean. If you have any concern, discuss them with your dr but I had no problems with it.

Answer by missanc at 4:27 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I would definitely not take any BC if you can because it messes with your supply something fierce. I have had many a woman dry up quickly on the estrogen base pill and a high number of women who dried up on the mini pill as well. The estrogen based pill will definitely drop your supply! Have doc give you the mini pill or use condoms or another form of BC.

Anonymous