Home schooling is for everyone?

I am so tired of being told that I am selfish because I don't home school my son and he is having problems in public school. Everyone keeps telling me 'oh, home school him. Problem solved.' then when I say I can't they tell me how I'm not looking out for his best interest and that there are ways to make it work. So I wanna ask. How do I make it work when I am a single parent who has to work to pay the rent? Don't say school home at night because then I have to pay child care I can't afford. I mean what do you suggest? If you have a good answer GREAT! I'll listen and see if it will work but I mean you have to admit it just isn't for everyone and it's not my fault. Some people just are not able or capable of home schooling right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• How do people figure you are supposed to work to pay the rent and home-school your son? People just aren't thinking. Of course you can make it work. You need to work closely with the school and support them. You will have to spend time with your son teaching him how to handle his homework and learn a solid work ethic. I would never consider home-schooling my kids. I don't have the personality for it. I happen to be a high school teacher and I believe my kids are better off learning from people with diverse backgrounds. I make sure they take full advantage of the opportunities offered them and I don't tolerate any behavior issues from them in school. I think I would kill them if I tried to teach them at home.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:06 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Are there private schools you could get him into or tutors that could help him? Im not sure what problems you are having per se but those were my first thoughts.

Spend extra time with him on working out whats going on or with his work. Maybe do some computer classes with him for added help?
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Hugs! I know there are moms out there who homeschool- and I think that's great, but I don't believe that it is an answer for everyone. I know homeschooling would NOT work for my kids- I would also worry about not being able to teach them everything they would need to know-- especially if they go on to college and need so many credits to do so. It is easy for family/friends/others to say 'oh homeschool' as THEY are not the ones who would have to juggle their time/work and do it. What type of problems is your son having in school? I would meet with the school and try to come up with ways to solve the problems at school. If that does not work, then maybe consider changing him to a different school, or maybe a private school?
    Good luck!!
    Anonymous

• Home schooling isn't always the best solution, especially for someone in your position. Many children have problems in school period, be it public, private, or at home. Children all learn differently, and maybe he just needs a little one on one tutoring to help him learn at his own pace in his own way, without distractions. It seems as though some parents use home-schooling as a cop-out. What I mean by that is they think that because they aren't getting a letter home saying their child is having difficulty, that the problem is solved. For the record, I'm not by any means saying that all parents that home school their children are like this. The teachers should be either having him come in early or staying late so that they can work with him and assess his problems and find a solution. Too many teachers are so quick to call it quits on a child, and that's a shame. If I knew exactly what problems he was having, I could help more
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 1:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• OP:: He just hates school... It's a fight to get him ready in the morning. Once he gets there he does his work and and he stay mostly out of trouble he just hates going. His grades are 'okay' Average I guess mostly S's a few N's and E's here and there but he has no trouble with the work most days. He has a few friends not like he is popular or anything. he says he doesn't have anyone who picks on him but I guess he could be lying. He is 6 and in Kindergarten. his teachers say he is doing fine he is just quiet.
    Anonymous

• If you are doing what you know in your heart is best for you and your son at this time, don't listen to anyone who tells you you're selfish. I'm a long time homeschooler and I can tell you it most definitely is NOT for everyone. Single parent homeschooling can be done, but it takes a LOT of commitment and sacrifice. If you don't think it is right for your family, then don't do it. Neither you or your son will gain much from it if you are doing it for the wrong reasons. You didn't give any background info such as what kind of problems he is having at school or how old he is, so I can't really give you any specific suggestions about what you can do instead.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:25 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Kindergarten can be hard on a child. Did he go to preschool before-hand? I'm only asking because I didn't go to preschool, and went I got to kindergarten, I was very shy and hated having to leave my mom. It took some getting used to. He could be intimidated by the other kids. He could also be bored. Sometimes when a child does well academically, but still hates going to school, the work may be too easy for them. Try buying a work book with first grade level assignments and see how he does. Try seeing if they have a school counselor that can talk to him and maybe try to get to the root of what's bothering him. Good luck, and I hope that everything works well for you. Keep in mind that this isn't a hopeless case and that you are a good mother. You're doing what's best for your child all by yourself, don't let anyone call you selfish. Ever.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:52 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• My son was never a fan of school and I had to talk him into going...LOL. He had good grades and didn't get into trouble but he was picky about teachers---they were just never nice enough. I think he now realizes he was hard to please, He is grown up and has a son in 8th grafde and tries to teach him to be positive abut school. I don't see that home schooling will make any difference. My daughter home schooled her daughters for a year but they didn't want to buckle down and do the work, Then one of them said she really missed school...so they both went back to public school and for three years in a row they have gotten straight "A"'s. Be positive and keep on dragging him out of bed. It WILL get bettwer!!!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 3:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• obviously homeschooling isnot going to work in your situations. YOu cannot streach yourself that thinn and expect to be super mom at it all.

YOur son is having problems..... I do homschool, but I don't see how pulling your son from school fixes the problem. You don't want to send the message that you can run when issues arise. What kind of issues? If you want to talk, email me. I'm sure there is a solution to your sons situation.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:52 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• OP:: He has been in child care since he was born. he went to a 4 year old state funded pre-school program
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Dec. 13, 2009