Non Denominational...It's a denominatioon right?

I mean I know they say there is no Doctrine they just follow the bible but isn't that a doctrine?
Doctrine (Latin: doctrina) is a codification of beliefs or "a body of teachings" or "instructions", taught principles or positions, as the body of teachings in a branch of knowledge or belief system.
Denomination: a religious organization whose congregations are united in their adherence to its beliefs and practices
So...Non Denominational qualifies as a denomination right? They define themselves as Christian and recognize Baptism and the fact that God forgives sins and they accept that Jesus is the way to life in Heaven. Is that not a set form of 'teachings' and 'beliefs' that the congregation agrees on and practices?
I know it's stupid but this has always bothered me. lol. I am NOT bashing people who refer to themselves as such I just don't understand the logic of the 'title'.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yeah, it is.

However, they can claim this title b/c they dont follow a specific set of "rules"
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 1:21 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I believe the title was meant to reflect that they weren't associated with any of the organized denominations. It is my understanding that each non-denom church can choose which doctrine they wish to follow & don't report to any authority outside of the individual church. That seems more like a grouping of like-minded individuals than the formation of a denomination.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:26 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• My definition of a denomination is a group of churches with a common set of beliefs and some form of organizational ties. So some non-denominational churches are just that. They are solo churches without connections to other churches.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I often wondered this myself. All institutions are some what the same and then kind of branch off to their own. There is only one organization that I know of that is united wordl wide in its beliefs and that is JW's.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:24 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I go to a non-denominational church, it is part of a group of churches called Calvary Chapels. "Calvary Chapel is a non-denominational church movement focused on the inerrancy of the Bible and the expository teaching from Genesis to Revelation."

"We are not a denominational church, nor are we opposed to denominations as such, only their over-emphasis of the doctrinal differences that have led to the division of the Body of Christ."

But not all non-denominational churches are the same. It just means that the pastor is not part of one of the main denominations, but it tells you nothing of their beliefs or doctrines. That is why it is important to ask them for a statement of faith to make sure they are right on and not in error.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:05 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Yet still by definition a denomination even if it is each individual church as a separate one they are all denominations. divisions of the Christian faith. A gathered group who share the same values and beliefs.
    Anonymous