Am I just being paranoid?

Ok, so tonight my dad's side of the family is all getting together for Christmas. I have an eleven week old son. I really want to go, but my issue is that my cousin has 7 kids who are all always sick. I'm nervous about taking my son because I'm scared if they're sick again, they'll get HIM sick. I know I can't put him in a bubble forever, lol, but with the flu season and all I'm jsut trying to be careful. My question...would you take your baby to a house full of people at that age? Either myself, my husband, or my mom will be holding him the entire time, hopefully, so he shouldn't be too exposed. Idk...would you go? Am I just being way too paranoid about germs? I'm kind of a germaphoe, so it's hard for me to tell, lol.

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 1:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I can only speak from personal experience...But my DD is 19 mos old and has never been sick. She's never had a prescription for ANYTHING and has never been to the doctor for illness.
    That being said, I take her everywhere. I always have. I feel like, if we keep them away from everyone who may be sick and disinfect everything all the time...when do we give their immune systems the chance to build, naturally? I think my daughter is so healthy because she has a strong immune system.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 12:47 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Be careful girl I though i'd be the mom that wasnt "OVER PROTECTIVE" with the germ issue.. Well because of that my son got rsv at 3 weeks old and almost lost him. KEEP YOUR BABY HOME!! Thats what i did and my sons family (his dads side) always said i kept my son from everyone which was bull.. With the cold flu sicky season BE OVER PROTECTIVE your baby is so young and if he gets sick not much treatment because he's to young for antibiotics... If you decide to go just take germ x make sure everyone uses before getting near your baby, People will get mad, but hey would you rather your kid sick and let them be happy? or would you want your kid not sick and healthy and let them be mad?I didnt let me son go to anyones house until he was 8 months old :) ha maybe to much shelter but hey! I didnt want him sick no one has to deal with it but you! Good luck :)
    Brookey25

Answer by Brookey25 at 1:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Yea, Brookey, I always make sure everyone washes their hands before touching him. He even has a sign on his carseat that "Wash your hands before touching mine", lol. he was in the NICU for minor issues when he was born, and even though he's completely healthy, since he was in the NICU, his inurance is paying 100% of this Synagis shot, which helps to prevent RSV and it's drastically lessen it's severity. The shot without insurance is around $1000 a month, and it's a monthly shot. We got really lucky with that. I'm hoping that'll help him out this season too.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Yes I would go. I was living with my sister for about a month who has 4 kids in school and Jackson was 2 months old. He did not get sick once and the kids ALWAYS wanted to play with him. My 2 yr old did not get sick either. Your baby will be fine :) Just make sure people wash hands!
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:35 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I hear you. My cousin's house has the same issue, 3 kids always sick. I'm going to call a day before and ask if they are sick. If they are, I won't be going. Germs travel fast, especially in their own house. Door knobs, seats, handles, etc. Everything they can cough on, or cough in their hand and touch. If it wasnt flu season * let alone swine flu season* I probably wouldnt care, but I dont want to risk it with my 7mo old.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 3:58 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I wouldn't go. And I didn't go. I was proud to say my DD who is 14 months old.. has never been sick.. because I don't take her places with ppl who are sick. But that's just how I am.
    I think a baby at 11 weeks, getting sick.. would be horrible for the little babe..
    ramzmomma

Answer by ramzmomma at 8:59 PM on Dec. 12, 2009