Anyone hear know much about doulas???

I've always been interesting in the concept, but I'm iffy on what it would actually be like. My labor was fairly easy. I don't really like being touched and having people in my face without me specifically telling them I'd like that...so I primarily would need somebody to sit on the sidelines, tell my husband what he should be doing (he's allowed to touch me...obviously since I'm pregnant...hehe), and crack jokes with me between contractions. It'd also be cool to have someone who could fetch me things like water, snacks, a wooden mallet to conk myself on the head with.

I've heard great things about doulas...but I've also heard horror stories about bossy women who try and take over, argue with doctors, and judge your choices. Has anyone hear used one, what was it like, how much did it cost, and would you use a doula again?

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 1:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I am a doula in training. I have not yet had the opportunity to attend a birth yet since I found out I was pregnant about a month after I started working towards my certification. But, a good doula will be there for you in ways that you have discussed prior to the birth of your baby. You let her know ways that you would like her to help and she will let you know things that other women have liked to see if you would like to try them as well. A good doula will not boss you around or anything like that. Doulas are also good for letting your husband know good things that he can do for you, too. =) Since you are the one the doula will be working for you get the final say in what they do for you. If you don't like what they are doing let them know.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 2:24 PM on Dec. 12, 2009