how late, and how often, that's the question

I have a son who's almost 17. He has started to go out with his friends (i can't say very often ) but today for example he's already late. So, I was wondering how often do your teens go out and till how late at night. I am a divorced mother and you can understand how difficult is for me to be both a mother and the father (as he never tells his father the truth because he's too strict and to be honest that finds me against. His father should know what I know. In spite of the fact that my son has told him lies twice , it has started to bother me .

yianna671

Asked by yianna671 at 1:57 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• i would impose a curfew of 9 or 10 on school nights and weekend 11 or midnight...i never had a curfew and a lot of the time i would spend the night with friends or come home at 3am on a school night but one of my friends mom would not let her be home any later than 9 pm regardless on school night or weekend...her answer to not changing was that u can only get into trouble if ur out any later than that but what i dont get is all the stuff i was doing at midnight i could be doing at 8pm as well...it just made no sense to me idk...u could always sit and talk with him and compromise on a reasonable curfew and then he will feel like he is more in control and has some kind of say in the matter
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 2:02 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Just remember you need to stick to your word or he's going to walk all over you. There has to be consequences for being late, like housework etc.. Just because you're on your own, the father is in his life and you both need to be on the same page or he's going to use it against you. If he's living at home he lives by your rules.. You're the parent, don't forget that... GL
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:08 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Supernanny says to be aware of the 4 "W's" for teenagers. Where they are going, Who they are with, What they are doing, and When they'll be back. If they can't follow your rules for going out at night, then they'll have to stay home. Its your home, you pay the bills they eat your food etc... they need to follow your rules.
    oregonmom22

Answer by oregonmom22 at 2:28 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• My sons are both high school seniors. They are allowed out until 8p on school nights and until 11p-1a on weekends (this was just recently changed, it was until 11p-12a), depending on the plans that they have. They must have clear plans by 8p or they cannot go out and they cannot make plans that includes them leaving the house after 9p. If they don't have clear plans, they're not going out. They call us when they arrive at their destination, they call us when they leave to go somewhere else and they call when they are on their way home. If they don't call or if they are late then they would be grounded for 2 weekends nut they haven't ever been late or forgotten to call because they know we mean what we say. We also still have to know who they are with and the parents of their friends, even at their ages. Yes, we are strict and they appreciate it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:50 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• This is true you are the parent the rules are yours.. But for the week where I live its 10:00pm. and the week-ends are12:00pm. my daughter is 14yrs old, And during the week I say no later than 9:30 be home. And week-ends 10:30 to be home. Yes at times she gets mad. because her friends stay out longer. But I don't care ,
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 11:06 AM on Dec. 13, 2009