Help Advice Need-Tips on handling a new preg. and a toddler

Hi All,

No bashing please. I am nearly pregnant and have a toddler. I am getting very annoyed and don't have the patience I once did with him. Has anyone been in this situation? I just feel so moody and hormonal. On top of it all he has been sick the last week which means not much sleep. So now he is off schedule and skipping his naps, etc. He is fighting us to take naps etc. I finally put him in his crib and am letting him CIO for his nap. Instead of the crying breaking my heart like it use to , it's annoying me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• its the hormones my son was almost 3 when i got pregnant and everything got to me i dont really have any advice i just sucked it up and got through it wait till the baby is here its 10 times worse...my son acts up and the baby is crying and i feel like i am gonna pull all my hair out at least with just him its a little easier.how old? i did notice that when i spent more time with him he was a little better behaved and gave him positive attention instead of negative attention it worked a lot better 4 both of us
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Gotta love those hormones. lol. It makes me feel so much better to hear about someone else out there going thru it. He is 20 months and very active. Terrible two's a little early maybe. It is way worse right before, during, and right after he is sick. I feel like it's me and my hormones. He really isn't any different than before. I am just not so patient. I keep getting accidentially hurt by him. Head butted in the stomach (not on purpose), stepped on, elbows pushing off my belly, etc. I actually posted another question b/c I was worried that the headbutt could cause a miscarriage. I try and give him positive attention as well. It works well but when he is cranky nothing seems to do the trick. Thanks for the advice.
    Anonymous

• the head butt isnt a big deal my son was really agressive when i was prego we would be cuddling on the couch and all of the sudden he would punch me in the tummy or kick me as hard as he can he was one jelous little man he still kind of is but he has never hurt her
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 2:21 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Deep deep breaths and speaking in a calming voice help me. I work at a daycare with 12-18 mos olds, have a 26 month old at home, and am 6 weeks pregnant. Not to mention that I am quitting smoking :) I only truly lost my temper with DD the first night I quit smoking, and not at all at work. Anytime I am extra tired, or extra hungry, or just extra cranky, I automatically bring the level of my voice down. It really helps the kids pay attention and it helps me feel in control of my emotions.
    Anonymous

• I am pregnant with #3...horrible hormones with my first, pure joy with my 2nd, and terrible hormones now with my 3rd. I find my patience is very very thin with EVERYONE! What used to not bother me at all (irate rich people, traffic, my son, etc) now bother me alot! I want to say really mean things to everyone all the time and I obsess about getting divorced and just leaving everything/everyone behind.....I think it is just helping me talk about it repeatedly and really being aware that it is just the pregnancy. I have to stop "caring" so much about the whining and crying......so it doesn't bother me. I am learning again to just tune it out....and just be matter of fact about everything...."The baby is going to cry, so there is no need to feel any emotion behind it (frustration, sadness, guilt)...."

Oh and remember to do alot of deep BREATHING!!! I mean it, we truly do forget to BREATHE!!!
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 2:37 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• wow, my son is 18 months, and i just realized what it would be like to get pregnant again! lol But like the other posters said, its just the hormones. Take in deep breaths, and see if you can get a family member to watch him for a day, so you can have a break, and rest for a day. Never know they might be able to get him back on schedule too. I needed a break one time, cause my son got off schedule and was driving me crazy. So my mom took him for a day, when he came back home that night, he had done his regular schedule all day. After that he was fine. GL
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Def. hormones.

I feel so bad for you because to top it all off he's been sick too & we know how that goes.

Sleep when ever possible. Try to keep your house tidey ( I know, more work BUT it will make you feel better), go for walks if you can (it will also tire out your first child & it's great for you for a few reasons 1. you get fit for labour, 2. endorfines will make you feel better 3. fresh air will make you feel better.) If you can't go for walk because of how cold it is try to do some mommy work outs & include your son www.mommyfit.com has good preggy excercises. Take baths, listen to music. EAT well, Esp. turkey it puts you in a good mood :)

I was at my worst when I was preg with DD & my DS was 18 months old. I know how hard it can be, it goes away. Frankly, my husband would hold me & just pray for me & that really helped me a lot.

May you & your loved ones have a blessed Christmas & New Year.
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 3:30 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I feel your pain! I have a 15mo DS and just found out I'm pregnant with baby #2. I'm moody anyways but am a SAHM so I don't get a break! He's been getting picky with eating and has been experimenting with this new screech/yell that is worse than nails on a chalkboard! I'M still trying to figure out how to deal with it! So far I've realized that if I go to bed when he does, I tend to wake up less annoyed. Also, when he naps, I do something for myself. Take a shower, paint my nails, snuggle up with a good book and a nice cup of hot tea. If you can afford it, I'd hire a babysitter a few hours each week. Just to give you a break! Not very long ones but enough where you can go do something nice and relaxing for yourself. Good luck. If you find anything that works for you let me know. I'll do the same for you!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 3:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• it's normal. my sister-in-law is 4 months farther along than i am and she would walk in the door after school and just start in on her kids. (i'm a stay at home mom and pick her kids up from school) she is still having problems keeping her cool with her school kids, but she is grouchy about everything! and now i am too. so we rescue each other now. that's always helpful when you have someone who can give you a break. like your mom, a friend, or someone else.
    mr2snafu

Answer by mr2snafu at 7:04 PM on Dec. 12, 2009