Mini slaves????

Do you guys make your kids do alot of chores?? Help get ready for company, or clean up after dinner?? Do you think alot or no responsability is best?

feloniousbelle

Asked by feloniousbelle at 2:55 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We are a family(we have 3 boys), we all work together as a unit, when they just get to lay around and do what they want things aren't working.. Ours have chores, they each have a job and they know what it is. They are age appropriate jobs and our house runs smoothly. They take pride in a job well done and they get praise for it. If they don't learn now, who's going to teach them when they're older, and they will expect someone else to do it for them. I don't want them to rely on a woman to take care of them, I want them to be completely independent...

clapping

nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 3:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I think children should have responsibility. They live in the house...they can take part in its upkeep. They eat the food, they can help with the preparation. They ate off the plates, they can help clean up after the meal.

SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 2:59 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Kids should learn self discipline and have responsibility. Having them help around the house isn't turning them into slaves by any means lol. Our 3 year old loves to help. She helps me do the dishes and laundry. It's only pushing the button on the washer and dryer and putting the soap in the dishwasher, but it's a good start for her age. I also have her pick up her toys and put her clothes in the laundry basket. It's best to have them start young so they get into the habit of cleaning up after themselves.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 3:20 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:21 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• they should have some responsibility, but don't over whelm them. my daughter is 3 and she puts her dishes in the sink when she is done eating and knows to scrape her plate into the garbage. she also loves to help me cook, clean, laundry, you name it she does it :-)
    CTC7122006

Answer by CTC7122006 at 3:24 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I agree with all of you but sometimes feel like I'm taking advantage of my older kids..I have a 9 and 7 year old...so that I can relax or spend time with the little ones ..a 2 year old and 8 month old twins...I feel like I have my hands full and maybe my kids do more than most?? I dont know..they have to do their own rooms and they switch laundry over clean up after dinner run the vacuum..whatever I need them to do....Usually with a good attitude...but I've been concerned since they went to a friends house (she has 7 year old twins girls) and they played for a while..and then were like okay ...gotta clean your room...and did it with out being asked.
    feloniousbelle

Answer by feloniousbelle at 3:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I told my kids that being a family is like being a team and we had to work together to keep the house clean. They had to clean up their own mess. I gave each one a specific chore according to their age and when they got older they could swap with a sibling but we all had to help. Their room was their own place though. I didn't go in there but no food was allowed in there. I didn't want bugs or rodents.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I don't consider tidying up after yourself as being a chore. It's something everyone should just do.

I had chores growing up, it's how I EARNED my allowance. I didn't 'have' to do them, but if I didn't do them then I didn't get an allowance. It's taught me to work for what I want.
    So many kids are way too spoiled and have everything handed to them.

My son is almost 3 and has been "helping" me clean and do laundry since he could walk.
    He's a very organized toddler.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 4:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• My kids are expected to clean up messes they make and help take care of the house because we all live here together. I'm not the maid. They have much responsibility. tonight my 9yo daughter and 8yo son learned to make grilled cheese on the stove. They already know how to warm food in the microwave, make cold sandwiches, pour cereal and use the toaster. They get their own breakfast and lunch most days and help their 3yo sister. The 3yo can make her own cheese sandwiches and PB&J if someone opens the jars.
    They clean their rooms on their own. The 9 and 8 year olds do their own laundry (from start to finish) and help their 7yo sister start the washer/dryer (she does the rest). They are chores but they are also life skills they need to survive in the real world. They don't get allowance. It's just expected that they pitch in and clean up after themselves.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:21 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• there is a line between slaving your kids and teaching them good hygiene and responsibility. my kids are 2 and 5 and when they are done eating they must ask to be excused, and clear their place. when we get home, unlike their cousins who walk in a drop everything, they know where their shoes go and put their coats up. my daughter likes to help out in the kitchen, and they do help me when we clean up around the house. my daughter feeds and gets water for the dog, cats, and her rats...it's expected and will help with coping with responsibility when they are older.
    mr2snafu

Answer by mr2snafu at 7:26 PM on Dec. 12, 2009