Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Legal help needed

we haven't been letting my in laws see DS BC he told us FIL hit him.

Today DH went to talk to MIL to try and work a few things out. She told him if we don;t let them see DS she will get a lawyer and sue us to see DS.

Can she do that?

How can I fight this.

What are their rights and ours?

Help I am freaking the fuck out.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (4)
  • I do know that grandparents can get legal rights too. But I am not sure how it works.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

  • No she can't unless she meets certain criteria and only in certain states. Google Grandparent's rights and see if your state even recognizes them. You do NOT have to allow ANYONE to see your child if that person hits or does harm to your child. I'd tell her to kiss my know and to go ahead and waste her money if she wants but I still would not let FIL see the child if he hit the child.

    Answer by admckenzie at 4:32 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

  • p.s. You can always agree to allow them to come to your house and visit while you are there but not let them take the child. That would keep any lawsuits away if you are in a state that would allow grandparent's rights. Many states had the GP rights law and repealed them or made them be stricter like if the son died and the mom refused to let the GP be a part of the child's life in any way.

    Answer by admckenzie at 4:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

  • I believe that the grandparents rights laws are for if one parent is not in the childs life and his/her parents want to see the child but the other parent won't allow them to. Call a family/custody attorney they can give you the law info for free.

    Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:02 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.