Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MIL help

we haven't been letting my in laws see DS BC he told us FIL hit him.

Today DH went to talk to MIL to try and work a few things out. She told him if we don;t let them see DS she will get a lawyer and sue us to see DS.

Can she do that?

How can I fight this.

What are their rights and ours?

Help I am freaking the fuck out.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

Answers (9)
  • I think some states have grandparent's rights, but you do get to control who sees your kid. Let her waste money on a lawyer.

    Answer by Pnukey at 3:30 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

  • lol I dont think she can do that. Shes not the biological parent. Especially if your son said the FIL laid a hand on him, theres more ammo for you. Like the PP said, let her waste her money on a lawyer.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

  • as far as i know grandparents or other relatives dont have rights only biological parents do, but i may be wrong.

    if your child was hit in there company then they dont have much to stand on. my dad threatened to hit my son one time and i called the cops ...and i dont allow my kids at my moms without me there

    Answer by gothmama91 at 3:33 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

  • She can get a lawyer, and it may or may not do her any good, if she does get one, you will have to as well. Could she come over to your house, IDK why her stupid husband would hit his grandbaby, and a 2 year old is a baby!! What does DH say, was his Dad abusive growing up? One thing is for sure I would NEVER allow my kid alone with them again, and I am absolutely sure that is within your rights to control who you leave your child with, if it gets as nasty as to go to court there are cases that grandparents do get visitation rights, and then you wouldn't have a choice but to let him go visit, what does MIL SAY about the FIL hitting your kiddo? Good luck!

    Answer by kimigogo at 3:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

  • OP here:

    FIL is not DHs father. His is dead and abused him as a child. MIL doesn't believe that FIL hit DS. Why would a 4 yr old lie about that though. He has also been saying some weird things, to the point we are looking into counciling for him. DH......He's on the fence. he backs me up then talks to them and things are different. All I know is if my mother or step dad ever laid a hand on DS they would NEVER see him again.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

  • You are right on 100%, but as I said, she can get a lawyer, so could you ask HER and only HER to come over and chat? I have a MIL who allowed DH to be abused as well, so I competely get where your coming from, and if push does come to shove, that is ALL going to come out, does she want that? 4 year olds do lie, but not about this, and if so he would have told you by now, DS is 4 and said the daycare lady bit his ear off, LOL, you son would have an elaborate story if this was a lie,,,,good luck and tell DH to be there with you, and explain to MIL--your reasons, knowing my own MIL's history we never allowed DS alone with her and her new honey, it has caused drama, but we will take him there and stay with him, or she ALONE can come here, you said he has been saying weird things? Do you suspect sexual abuse as well? I think for your protection go to the counselor! They will document everything!

    Answer by kimigogo at 3:45 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

  • Grandparents have no rights. At all. How old is your son? If he's old enough, he can tell them why he doesn't want to go see them, IF it gets that far. But I doubt it will. GL

    Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 4:01 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

  • Oh yeah. Well, a 4 year old can say that they hit him. You're doing the right thing, and you have every right to keep your kid from them. They have no leverage. GL

    Answer by SAMNMAYASMOM at 4:03 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

  • Well I just googled it and yes she can fight for visitation but generally the only way the court will rule in her favor is if she can PROVE that not being able to see ds will be detrimental to his well-being. Once she gets a lawyer she has to prove that its best for the child.

    Answer by bjw_053109 at 5:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.