Fever of 102.4, 7 mo old. Grumpy, no signs of whats wrong. What to do?

My 7 mo old DD woke up at 3 a.m. (unusual) wimpering, and arching her back and wiggling around. I thought maybe it was her acid reflux acting up, so I gave her a dose of her Zantac. She was still fussy, so I held her and noticed she was burning up. Her under arm temp read 101.4. Worried I called the nurse at the hospital. She said to give her infant tylenol and wait for her to show a symptom for her fever.

She still hasnt. Shes a little grumpy, but I wouldnt have noticed anything was wrong if I hadnt noticed her fever. This morning its at 100. Is this typical? Should I do something besides tylenol? Should I take her to the hospital? New mommy, worried. Thank you

stenhouse_baby

Asked by stenhouse_baby at 3:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• call your doctor or local emergency room and tell them sighns and symptoms
    mom2fivekids579

Answer by mom2fivekids579 at 3:44 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• She may be teething. It is very common for them to have a fever when there are cutting teeth. If she continues with the fever I suggest having her seen though. At that age they can't tell you where it hurts, so just keep and eye on her and trust your gut feelings if she continues to run a fever. Good luck
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:38 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• She could be teething. You dont even have to give her tylenol... Fever is the body's natural response to get rid of "intruders" in your body. The heat kills them. If the temp rises quickly or jumps up to 104, its hospital time. In the meanwhile, have her take a cool bath and play in there for a while. Make sure she gets lots of Breastmilk or formula, as well as rest.
    Anonymous

mom2fivekids579

• I did call them last night. I called the emergency room's advice nurse. She told me to give her Tylenol and wait it out for her to exhibit symptoms and go from there.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 3:52 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I would think it was her ears. You will not necessarily see a symptom. If it continues, take her to her pediatrician

Answer by admckenzie at 4:13 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I took her to the E.R. she has a kidney infection. Thank you all for your help.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 2:25 AM on Dec. 13, 2009