Formula

I am Breastfeeding and my 7 month baby won't sleep well at all at night... he isn't nursing through the night all the time but he still wakes up about 4 times a night, I wanted to try replacing his last feeding with formula.... I have Similac or Enfamil

Which do you prefer, and why?

childofGod51509

Asked by childofGod51509 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The reason that formula helps kids sleep at night (supposedly) is because its so hard for their little bellies to break down. Breast milk is pure nutrition so its really easy for their body to digest. That's why they need it more often. Please dont deprive your little one of the nutrition he needs :-(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• It is safe to give him cereal in his bottle for the last feeding. This will help the little guy sleep better at night. But as far as the formula I liked Enfamil when my son was a baby.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I tried the whole cereal thing, it did not work at all.
    childofGod51509

Answer by childofGod51509 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• similac is what we started her on, she was gassy and DH wanted to switch her to enfamil and we did and she HATED it, it made things worse, so I put her back on similac and her tummy problems worked out soon enough. Similac has never failed us, but try the baby on one and if that doesnt work after a while, try the other. Good luck!!!
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 4:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Get the Walmart brand "Parent's Choice" and get the lower iron formula. It's literally half the price and better for them.
    We spent so much money on formula when my son was a baby because we thought we needed the name brand stuff. We compared the labels and found that the PC stuff had better %'s of nutrients.

The lower iron stuff helped us out with our gassy baby. It didn't make him get as constipated as the regular stuff.
    Anonymous

• I doubt it will help baby to sleep longer. From kellymom.com: There's no evidence that it will help. Some babies will sleep worse, due to reactions to the formula or solids (tummy ache, etc. are not uncommon), particularly if baby is younger than around 6 months. Two studies have indicated that adding solids to the diet does not cause babies to sleep longer. These studies found no difference in the sleep patterns of babies who received solids before bedtime when compared to babies who were not given solids.
    Formula requires a baby's digestive system to work overtime as baby tries to digest something not specific to the human body. Formula is harder to digest than human milk; thus formula-fed babies tend to go longer between feedings. While this may seem like a benefit, it's probably not something we want for our babies' bodies unless there are no other alternatives
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:11 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• It wont make him sleep longer and might give him a bellyache. He could be teething working on a new milestone. His sleep patterns will always change ubtil age 3-5 years
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:15 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Thank you all so much, I decided that formula is not the right choice for us, and sacrificing a little sleep for his health is totally worth it. We are supplementing a little with goats milk, I heard its the next best thing to breast milk, but only to help me pump a little extra for storage... You all have been so helpful thank you!
    childofGod51509

Answer by childofGod51509 at 11:27 PM on Dec. 17, 2009