What should I tell my 12 year old Niece about using tampons?

She's curious because she's real athletic and some of her friends use them. I told her I thought that was somthing she should share with her mom, but her mom is not to easy too talk to and either is her Dad about this kind of issue.

I know she's still a virgin and I've no clue if she could or should use them.

Tarabella

Asked by Tarabella at 3:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• This was the age I was when I first used them, and I too was still a virgin. I would hope all girls that age are! ;0
    My mom was really upset at first about me using them, but I just didn't like pads. I would suggest that you bring it up to mom and explain that daughter wants to wear them for good reasons. But in the end, if the girl wants to wear them, she will find a way to get them. I know from experience. haha
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 3:44 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• wow thats tough.. will her mother get mad at you if you tell her about them? Thats def. something i want want to talk to my child about.. i know you said her mom isnt very easy to talk to about that kind of thing, but would she be angry if you did tell her? Im trying to remember how i found out abut them.. i guess i just really read the instructions with the box! lol.. i dont remember having that talk with my mom either!
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 3:45 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• yes, virgins can use tampons, and no- tampons will not take your virginity.
    The insert in the tampon box has lots of useful information- like not to keep it in for more than 4 hours, how to put it in, what kind you should use, etc. You could use that as a guide for a discussion.
    I like using tampons because there is less of a smell, an easier cleanup, they are quick and compact to store in a backpack or purse, and you can swim and do other physical activities in them easier.
    Anonymous

• my first period i used tampons. u should talk to her mom though. unless her mom knows u talk to her about these things, it may be crossing the line. maybe u can talk to ur niece and then talk to her mom. that way its not uncomfortable fer her.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I would talk to her mom first! You can bring it up, the slender tampax work great for teens, surely Mom is not enough of a troll to deny her daughter tampons, but I think you should bring it up! Good luck, I don't envy you!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:54 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• ya i didnt talk to my mom about tampons either..my sis in law told me about them.. just show her the intructions.. at that age i found it easier to insert them in standing up... i like the playtex sport,..they are comfortable..i hate the cardboard...they even sell tampon purses now..so cute...
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 4:10 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I was using tampons at age 11, when I started my period. It's pretty easy to explain how to use them.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:24 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I would talk to your sibling, I'm not sure if it's dad or mom and tell them that the question was asked and she's curious, maybe hint you think it's time for 'the talk' of what happens as you get older and such.

IMO it's not your place and I'd be very offended if somebody tried to give that talk to my child, no matter who that somebody was, and especially if they didn't ask permission from my husband or I.

I started developing by age 11 and received this talk from my mom. Sadly, I had my first period at a practical stranger’s home and that stranger tried to tell me all about it (this was after I'd already received 'the talk' from my mom). I was not only so embarrassed having been talked to by this person but also had no respect for them since they tried to step into a roll I felt was something only my mom should have been in. I let this person know this as I left promptly.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 5:17 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I couldn't easily fit a tampon in until a while after I'd had sex for the first time...I remember every time I got one trying to insert one and not being able to. I also remember my mom showing me how to on herself! Yes gross but her heart was in the right place I'm sure lol...
    Anonymous

• My sis asked me to explain it to her daughter and it was pretty easy actually. I think she was 12 at the time. I never did get the whole taboo over being a virgin and using tampons.
    lovetwins89

Answer by lovetwins89 at 6:53 PM on Dec. 12, 2009