My 5 yr old can't talk.....I need guidance here... not bashing

He words are hard to understand and they aren't maturing. He still sounds like a 2 yr old. He isn't holding conversation like a 5 yr old.
I get very frustrated and just don't have the patience to work with him and I get to be kinda hard on him. I try but give up and go do my own thing. I will tell him how to say something correctly or not give him what he wants until he can ask in a sentence.
He is in head start and the instructor says he isn't that bad compared to others. I just have no support and really don't have what it takes to be a good mom and guide him.
I don't want to be hard on him here at home and then have kids be hard on him at school. It's not like he's doing this on purpose but yet it's frustrating....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Parents as Teachers, also your Pedatrician can help with getting him to speech therapy!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:35 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Have you had his hearing checked? That is the first thing I would recommend. Also, he could use speach therapy. I don't understand why Head Start hasn't brought this to your attention. Programs like SIRS offers this type of service for children. I strongly suggest that if he hasn't had a hearing test, contact your doctor to have it done. Also, see about the speech therapy ASAP. My mother taught Head Start for almost 15 years and I know they used to help with these type of things. Good luck!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 4:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• My grandson did that but it turned out to be that he couldn't hear to be able to repeat words and learn to form sentences. He had surgery for tubes and now is in speech therapy and he's learning and catching up. It's ok, just get him help.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:45 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• yeah, Im gonna go with having his hearing checked and looking into speech therapy my dd did not have a hearing problem but she couldnt talk very good and started speech therapy over a year ago and is still in it, it has helped her tremendously!
    sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 5:14 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• i think you've got some good answers here...make an appointment with his dr, and if the dr won't do anything, find out who will check his hearing, and Parents as Teachers or the Early Education Center (public pre-school) can help. if you go to the local social services or family services they can help with finding you the numbers for all of those.
    mr2snafu

Answer by mr2snafu at 7:22 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Have him evaluated by the school, both hearing and speech. It is FREE through the school system and they have trained professionals to do the evaluation. You can also ask his pediatrician to refer you to someone.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• take him to your ped and have him evaluated. Sot hat they can detect the real issue and adress it. He is 5, so its not him being stubborn, he may need speech therapy or there could be issues with his hearing.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:52 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• is he getting speech therapy!! It should be done through school. If your insurance will cover it, get a speech eval, or possible even a neurologist to evaluation him. Alot can be done with a young child. The younger you start the better. GOOD LUCK!!! You have to be his voice!!
    nurseratchet67

Answer by nurseratchet67 at 1:51 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I agree with the above. Also have him tested for food sensitivities. Ask for a Food Panel RAST test for IgG & IgE. This test saved my son. We had to remove eggs, milk, soy & wheat from his diet. Once everything was out of his system, it was like a switch had been flipped on. He started reading & writing, his speech improved, he can follow directions. Mind you, he had NO outward allergy symptoms.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:06 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• You have the right to ask that the school system evaluate his speech (from age 3 even!). If he is behind they will handle his speech therapy. Talk to his head start teacher or the head of the school and tell them to tell you what you need to do to have him set up for an eval.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:48 PM on Dec. 13, 2009