Help my daughter refuses to wear shoes

My daughter will be turning 1 on the 31st and has been walking since she was 9 months. She refuses to wear shoes. She won't even wear slippers. She will however wear socks. I have even tried pedi-peds and she hates them. I can't even explain in words how much she hates shoes. When she looks at them she gets the shakes. What do I do to get her to wear shoes? Oh I have even tried putting them on her and taking her outside, to try and show her that if she wears shoes she can walk outside....didn't work. She just sat down and cried

AngJoline

Asked by AngJoline at 5:14 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ...you might not like my idea. ...but this is my suggestion.
    Don't make her wear shoes. Let her walk around barefoot. Bring a pair of shoes with you, but let her walk around with no shoes on. ...sooner or later she's going to realize that it makes her feet hurt and (this time of year) cold. THEN try to explain to her that if she puts the shoes on her feet will be warmer and they won't hurt any more. I'd start with flip flops first. ...Sometimes you have to let children realize the consequences of their actions. Kind of like no matter how many times you tell a child not to touch the hot stove, they always end up touching it. They don't understand until they experience it.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• have you tried letting her go down the shoe aisle and picking ones she likes? I know she is 1 but my daughter loved to pick out her own things from an early age. My daughter also prefers boots and slip on type shoes to anything that is tied. Even at 5 y/o she is cranky about what type of shoes she wears.

Another problem we ran into was that it wasnt so much the shoes as it was the type of socks we used, we finally found socks that didnt have the bumbpy seam over the toes, that made a huge difference, I have started using tights for my daughter with no seam on the toes and it works much better and we have less of a struggle over putting the shoes on.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:24 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• My son didnt like shoes for a while either. Since it gets to 50 below zero here he HAD to wear slippers or risk frostbite even just going from the door to the car. We figured out he needed an extra wide size. I would take her to stride rite and have them measure her foot then let her choose the ones she wants
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 6:05 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I must be a mean mom. I would have put them on her and let her have a complete meltdown at home when she doesn't need to wear them so that she will get used to them. That is what we have done we a few different situations. If it is something that I feel strongly about I will WIN the battle, if it is something that I can deal with when necessary then I will wait. Just depends on how you want to handle it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:19 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I don't know if you can really reason with her at the age of one. Are you sure they are not pinching her feet? Are they flexible? Do they make the sock seams cut into her toes? If none of those things apply and it is cold outside, I would just put them on her and let her thow her fit. Or if it's possible, if she refuses to put shoes on, leave her at home with her dad or someone who can watch her. If she's the type of kid that loves to go out, she'll catch on quickly! But you gotta do what you gotta do. I had the same battle with mittens... my son is older though (1 1/2) so I was able to tell him that he must wear it before he could go outside. He complied quickly.
    Anonymous