When can I start letting my son sleep in his toddler bed

He is 1 and is walking very good. When is a good time to put him in the big boy bed

Asked by notime4me621 at 8:59 AM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DS was in a toddler bed at 10 months. (My kids are 10 months apart). We put DD in a toddler bed when we moved here. She was just 1 then... 14 months if you want to be technical.

Both did fine in a toddler bed when we moved them into a toddler bed.

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:04 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• When he shows interest.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:20 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I started my daughter in her bed as soon as she turned one, lol

Answer by Jluv517 at 9:33 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I would put your LO in a toddler bed when they look like they are outgrowing the crib, or they start climbing out of their crib. When they seem ready, go ahead and try. A good way to test it out is to put their crib mattress on the ground and see how they handle that, if they stay on it or fall onto the ground.

Answer by schmoo_mommy at 11:21 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• What's the rush? You should keep him in his crib for as long as possible, not move him to a bed as quick as possible. Most books recommend leaving them in a crib until they are over 2, even 3!

Keep in mind that once he's in a bed, naptime and bedtime will probably become a battle - what's to keep him from getting up and playing? Are you going to sit in his room until he is asleep to make sure he obeys?

He'll also get out when he wakes up during the night. He'll be able to wander the house and play with anything he finds while you are asleep.

If you are concerned that he'll climb out and fall, consider getting a crib tent.

If you do switch him to a bed, consider putting a babygate or lock on his bedroom door to trap him in there. Also, babyproof everything in the room and anchor any furniture. His dresser will be his new jungle gym, any closet organizers will be a mountian to climb. Look at the room from the point of view

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 25, 2008

• My son showed interest at 15 months and we put him in his first big boy bed at 18 months. Im not crazy about tot beds though, too skinny and tots like to move around alot. I got a bed at ikea that is low to the ground like a tot bed but as big as a twin. He loves his bed.

Answer by amyogilvie78 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• the best advise for me is that they are ready when you tell them to stay in a chair, or somewhere, and they listen. Otherwise they will just get out of their bed at night. My oldest is 24 months, and she just got her "big girl bed". Her toys are in her room, and she tends to get up and play sometimes, but I just have to go in and tell her to get back in bed. Eventually she listens and stays's a process.

• anytime after the age of 1 or when he starts climbing out

Answer by fishersmom06 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• my son was one wen i put him in his toddler bed. he kept climbing out of the crib!he sleeps in one of those lightning mcqueen beds thats shaped as a car and evry nite he goes to bed just fine, we tell him not to drive too fast and that we love him very much and we'll c him in the works wonders if u can get them to sleep in something they

Answer by love2bamommy771 at 2:05 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• I would wait as long as you can... I moved my son to the toddler bed when he was 19 months old & I wish I would've waited. He slept REALLY well in his crib. It took us a couple of months to get him to STAY in his toddler bed. If you don't need the crib for another baby, then let him stay in it for a while, or until he learns how to climb out.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 25, 2008