I need some advice on...Lice..EW!

My ex is dating a woman who has 3 small children..well yesterday he informed me they all have lice. Now I might not know much about lice but I know it doesnt take one day to kill them..Anyways He took my son today and Im so afraid of my son getting it..I know he might happen to get it sooner or later but now that I know my ex's "kids" had it I want to prevent it..So how soon after being exposed to someone with lice could it show up? And also if the kids have it is it 100% my child is going to get it?

LovingZachary09

Asked by LovingZachary09 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• nottoo sure on the howlong part,but if you want aneasy at home treatment if either you or your son get lice, Mayonaise! my brothers kids had "pets" n when they came to visit myslef n my mom put mayonaise in their hair let it sit for about half hour then use one of those nit combs, works suprisingly well! you might want to pass info on to ex....
    dracosmommy

Answer by dracosmommy at 6:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• it being a boy i would shave his head...i know that seems drastic...but that is sooo hard to get rid of...good luck....
    Anonymous

• My mother had to leave the poisen on my head for like 3 hours. Good luck with it...
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 6:24 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Vegetable oil works too.
    Put him in the tub as soon as you get him back, strip him down, wash his clothes in super hot water and dry them on the highest setting.
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 6:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• We always treated with the OTC Head lice shampoos, we also use Karosene to wash our hair in. What ever you do you have to clean everything in super hot water and overdry and if it can't be washed it needs to be airtight in a bag for 30-60 days. You can see lice once they are exposed. I had it for 8 mos straight when I was a teenager. We couldn't get rid of it and when we did I got it back with in a few days due to where I worked. If he goes to daycare make sure that the facility is aware b/c if they all get it, it will be difficult to get rid of.
    When your son comes home strip him outside and make him leave all stuff outside as well and wash his hair immediately.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:01 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• rub a little baby oil in his hair befor he goes over there, the lice wont be able to stay on. and manoasie works great for lice.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:07 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Just buy the Rid X or whatever it's called at a drug store and use it like it says. Wash all the clothes and bedding in HOT water and dry in HOT dryer. Being he's a boy, shaving his head is a good idea too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Don't use a chemical treatment on your son unless you know he has it. Being exposed doesn't mean he'll get it but you'll need to be careful and watch for him. It's a good idea to put all clothes into the dryer for 20 minutes when he gets home (to kill anything he's picked up) and limit anything else he brings there. It isn't the end of the world if you get it but it is a hassle to get rid of it. If you bag things, it only needs to be for 2 weeks (not 30 to 60 days as someone else posted). I've heard olive oil can help prevent it and certainly can't hurt.
    Anonymous