breastfeeding question

I think I have an infection in one breast. I'm on amoxicillin for it. It hurts so bad to nurse on that breast but the pumps is bearable so I've been pumping and dumping. I've been nursing on the other breast but it seems like its not filling her up. I've got a small stash in the freezer I'm going to start giving her if she still acts hungry after a feeding but its going to go fast so I'm wondering if I need to dump or if I can freeze the milk and give it to her later like normal. Thanks!

mom06and09

Asked by mom06and09 at 6:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you have mastitis? I always just nursed through the pain. So I would assume you could give her what you would pump out of that breast.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 6:35 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• sounds like mastitis. Yes you can feed her that milk.    The oyher breast will also compensate supply.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Breastfeeding_dealing_with_mastitis?OpenDocument

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 6:38 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Why are you dumping what you are pumping?

If you do have mastitis, here is what worked for me: hot compresses and massage.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:43 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I don't know if its mastitis or not. A little over a week ago I took the advice from some moms on here to pop what I thought was a milk blister. Then I got thrush within two days and I've had a white blister looking thing on the tip of my nipple since. I took dd in for her 4 month check up and her ped said the nystatin cleared up her thrush and looked at my white spot and couldn't tell what it was so she prescribed amoxicillin in hopes to clear it up. Its super painful, I want to cry whenever nursing her but for some reason I can pump with very little pain. I get engorged behind the bump and no where else but I've found that if I warm up the nipple in some warm water then pump it releases the milk.
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 6:46 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• You can definitely feed her what you pump. There is no need to throw it out.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 7:04 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Plugged duct? nursing is the best remedy. have you seen a lc? go here for info on plugged ducts and mastitis

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:14 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Usually the bleb is not an infection and I can safely say that popping it did not cause thrush. Thrush is accompanied with milk blebs often so you most likely had thrush and the bleb was a side effect of the thrush. You do not need to pump and dump and you actually do not need to pump from that side at all if you don't want to. You can nurse normally and pump after to help rid the milk from the blocked duct. Please check out this article to help you through the bleb. I hope you feel better soon and don't worry about pumping and dumping just feed baby normally. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html

Anonymous

• Well the white part comes off every now and then (after a feeding or pumping) and is left with a hole type thing. Then it will bleed ever so slightly.
    mom06and09

Answer by mom06and09 at 7:53 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• The white part coming off is a good thing. Once that is off follow the directions from this link to help with healing the hole. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplehealing.html  Just know that this will heal and you will be back to normal in no time.

Anonymous

• I agree with anon 8:15. Follow the directions on that link and you'll be fine in no time! Also, there is no reason to dump that milk.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 12:35 AM on Dec. 13, 2009