Christians: After death...

do you believe your loved ones can see you? Can look over you? I hear things like Granddaddy is looking down on us keeping us safe.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, I don't believe that at all. Jesus actually taught on this subject in Luke 16. A rich man died and he asked if he could come back to earth to warn his brothers because he did not go to the "happy place"-- but he was told no. He was tormented. He could not see his family, protect them, make contact with them, etc.

When we die, we are fully conscious but not able to make contact with the living. If you are a Christian you go into the pressence of God.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Luke 16

"We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord." 2 Cor. 5:8

A Christian can be CONFIDENT that the moment we die we are in the presence of the Lord : )

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 7:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• i believe they look over us and help a bit. it's not like we shall count on them doing all for or solving our problems, but the belief itself is as helpfull as to think to have and feel someone's back for support.
    Anonymous

• no..i think for most people its a way of coping with missing someone after they've 'gone on'. its a comfort thing to think gma or your favorite uncle is still cheering you on and smiling at you.
    cinnamon...preach on, sista!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 7:32 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Hebrews 12:1 says that we are surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses, I believe that to be the angels and those who have gone before. So they are watching, but no where in scripture does it speak of the dead being able to interact or intervein in human affairs. I believe that is left to God, through His angels.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:33 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• sadI like to believe it's true. 

I'm missing mom, she passed here mid-year and the pain of her passing has been great.crying

Anonymous

• Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10
    Ecclesiastes 9:5-10 (King James Version)

5For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

6Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

10Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

I believe that one day we will be reunited with our loved ones and live on an earthly paradise.
    Anon :01 I believe that you'll see your mom again, healthy and i'll see my mom there as well.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 8:09 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Yes, I believe that their soul and spirits surround us, protecting us and providing comfort. As far as sitting up "there "in a chair looking down, I do not think so.

My Grandmother came and visited me after her death. She was a real as you and me- it was amazing, scary and I was awestruck. She said "tell your mother I always loved her as much as the others"

I told my Mom this and she broke down. She had never told me that she felt that since she was 10 years younger than the next sibling, she was not planned and back then it was shameful to be pregnant past 40 she always felt as though she brought shame to her Mother and that her Mother did not love her as she did the others. I had no idea of any of this, so if it was a dream, it was one heck of a dream!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 8:26 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I believe that God allows our loved ones a window into our lives when He deems it appropriate. I know there is a scripture that talks of people in Heaven still able to pray for those of us on earth, how would they know what to pray for if they had no idea what was going on? Since my husbands death I've had a handful of much prayed for dreams in which I truly felt he was there. They were totally different than other dreams with him in it. I don't think our deceased loved ones have any powers of protection in our lives other than what they had which is the same as it was when they were living, the power of prayer. I do believe that God would use the image of someone we loved and trusted if it served His purpose as in having your long dead husband wake you up to tell you to get out of the house because it was on fire, that type of thing....
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:52 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I don't necessarily think they're all assigned to look after us all the time

...but I've heard enough visitation stories from beyond the grave to believe that they still care for us, and when (and in ways that) God deems appropriate, they'll help us out.
    Anonymous