Can a baby survive at 24 weeks?

Have you ever heard of a baby surviving this young? I'm worried because the doctors don't think I'll make it much longer...I'm 23 weeks 2 days....praying I can last another couple weeks....Any stories?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The earliest I've known of someone who has had a baby was at 29 weeks. He had problems in the beginning but to answer your questions, yes he did survive. Don't be negative about it. Think positive. You never know.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 7:14 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• I believe there was a woman that delivered at 21 weeks. The baby was really tiny but they did survive. Start eating like crazy try to add as much wieght as you can for the baby has your doctor giving you steriods for the lungs???
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 7:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Yes, it has happened! It is a long and difficult road full of heartbreaks, antipication, and joy. There are preemies that have pulled through as young as 23-24 weeks. Your baby has a chance. It might be wise to increase your fat and protein intake, make sure you take your vitamins and flaxseed oil or one of those prenatal dha pills. Ask about starting steroid shots. I would try to keep the baby in as long as you can and exhaust all option. The longer you carry the baby, the better the baby's chance for survival. Every single day counts. Blessed be.
    Anonymous

• Have they given you steriod shots? if not.. TELL THEM TOO NOW!
    It will help develope his/her lungs.
    And GOD will watch over the little babe.. With all the amazing thing's we have these days.. You never know.
    Good luck
    ramzmomma

Answer by ramzmomma at 8:51 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Yes 23 weekers can survive generally girls fair better then boys at this age quality of life odds improve with birth weights of at least 600 grams but 400 gramers can still survive they just dont thrive

there are things you can do to improve your outcome-- dont get an anesthetic during delivery, drink plenty of fluids, if they are going to induce you ask for IV steroids to drop the baby's surfactant 24 hours before the planned induction, weight of the baby makes a big difference so in the next few days/weeks eat high quality high calorie foods like Malted Milkshakes, when baby is born pump and give him breastmilk this can eliminate things like NEC and help with things like BPD... did that help?
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:29 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• www.sidelines.org 

This is a website for high risk pregnant women and parents of preemies.  I'm sure that many there can help you and also give you  support.  Good luck.

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• yes there was this lady who delievered at 21 weeks and the baby was really small bout as small as an ink pen and he lived good luck and i hope for the best for u and ur baby
    myangelelena

Answer by myangelelena at 1:56 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Check your state and hospital for their policies. Our local hospital where my sister delivered her 24 weeker will not even try to save them if they are less then 25 weeks. It may have been hospital policy or doctor policy, but they simply delivered the baby and let my sister and her husband alone with her while she struggle to breathe and died after 30 minutes. My sister later delivered a 27 weeker who lived and is doing just fine now. My sister herself is a 30 weeker (in 1979 that was unheard of) that survived and other then terrible eye sight from the way they gave them oxygen then she is fine. Hugs and keep pregnant thoughts to you.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:01 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Yes! My daughter was born at 24 weeks and is a healthy 14 month old now.
    mommykara08

Answer by mommykara08 at 7:16 PM on Dec. 13, 2009