Does your dd go to her room when told??? (she is 6 yrs. old)

I asked a question about having a drama queen afew days ago and I got some good responses one of them was to send my dd to her room and let her be the drama queen all she wants in her room and when she is done doing that she can come out like a big girl...well I tried that and somehow it did not work for me I guess bc I usually give her a good spanking but I am trying to stop that I tell her to go to her room and she starts crying and whining and saying no I dont want to go to my room I am like I did not ask you I am telling you I don't want to spank you anyway she doesn't listen and I am already fed up I just try to ignore her but it is so hard bc she just keeps on there is no getting away from this until she is done being the drama queen.

Thank you ladies for your suggestions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:11 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• do not give her an option. pick her up and go put her in her room. my 5 yr old tries that sometimes and if i don't spank her i go place her in her room. it will probably kick start her baby fit but then it should get over with faster. and stay firm, don't let her come out til she stops. it's like have a little baby that jsut won't stop...you will probably have to keep taking her back to her room and shutting the door, but she should get the idea soon enough. don't give in and don't argue with her. her trick is to start you arguing with her so you forget what you are doing, give up and drop it. it's actually a slick lil trick that kids do.
    mr2snafu

Answer by mr2snafu at 7:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Well, one of my twins is like that.Sending her to her room isn't working for me either. What I do is COMPLETELY ingore her. Showing you're bother/fed up/mad will only make it worse. When she does that, don't even look at her, just keep doing what you do. The school consulor told me to do that and it really works! I've been doing it for about 2 weeks and she does it a little less every day.
    lovemytwinsters

Answer by lovemytwinsters at 7:20 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• My two Drama Queens are older than six but if they are told to go to their rooms and find something to do they usually do as they are told. They know the alternative is a spanking

I agree - never argue with children, never be put in the postion where you find you are trying to justify yourself in the face of whining, complaining and disrespect.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 7:35 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Luckily my boys do as they are told for the most part. It is more luck than great parenting believe me! However, when they would throw a fit about something, I too would ignore them. A doctor once said "the orchestra does not play to an empty house" and it worked for me. I know, it is luck that it worked for me, I am not better or worse of a parent than anyone else. My kids are super rowdy, totally messy, eat me out of house and home and are daredevils, but they do mind me pretty well. I guess there are trade offs when it comes to kids- none are perfect. Hang in there!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 8:31 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• When she refuses to go to her room, pick her up & put her in there. If she comes out before she is ready, repeat process. You can't give in. You have to be more stubborn than her.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:02 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• my 5 yr old is a drama queen and if she doesn't go I count to three if she is not there by 3 its time out in the corner. Now she goes majority of the time but depends on the day! You do have to be consistant because as I got more consitant she now goes and stays but before she did not!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2009