Torn between correct gesture

I have a dilemma. I am an xw and my xh remarried a wonderful woman with 2 adorable little girls. I'm happy for him and we both split our time between our young son we had together. I am financially independent and wish to recognize his 2 new stepdaughters on their birthdays and Christmas'. Something like a gift card and cute card to go with. Does this sound alright?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would ask both him and his wife if they feel it is appropriate. I personally think it would be a nice gesture but his new wife might feel like you are trying to horn in. It really depends on your relationship with his new family as a whole so I think the best thing to do would be to straight ask them. I think that this speaks volumes for your character. Good for you!
    Anonymous

• Yes, it sould very right. You have a good heart and the girls will be lucky to have you in their lives.
    Anonymous

• Not only sounds right but very gracious. I would check with the new wife and xh, just to be sure but I see nothing wrong.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 7:39 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• The gifts could always be "from" your son
    Gealach

Answer by Gealach at 7:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• Yeah just give it from your son, that still shows that you thought of them to help him get them something. When my DS was still seeing his biological father he asked me to take him to get his step brother, step sister and half brother something for Christmas and I did. We didn't do their birthdays, but that is a nice thing for you to do.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:25 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• yes. I think its a beautiful gesture and affirms that you are all family And I agree it can always be from their bro
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:00 PM on Dec. 13, 2009

• Op here: I have been tagging it from me only because my xh takes our son shopping for them himself, so I don't want to step on his toes. I have also offered to watch them at my house while he and his new wife do a little Christmas shopping.
    Anonymous