What can I do when my kids don't lisiten?

I have tried everything from, smashing their toys, corner, taking things away, cleaning walls. IDUNO what else to do.

LilMommaof5

Asked by LilMommaof5 at 7:32 PM on Dec. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Try putting them in an empty room 1 min per year(4yrs=4min, etc), if that doesn't work slowly turn their bedroom into just that a room with a bed in it! If you still can't get anywhere try a reward system: Set up something, a stamp book or sticker chart, by the end of the week if they fill it up then they get a prize out of the prize box(works wonders for my crafty 6yr old!!!(nothing major, stuff you could find at a dollar store or any fun activite you want them to choose from). When you are doing the time outs and punishments you have to be firm, you can't do it half assed or else they will never take you seriously!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 7:43 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• make sure whatever you do that you are consistant! kids know when you aren't and will walk all over you. it gets worse when they team up against you. a balance between praise and punishment should help as well...sounds like ladyd had some great suggestions.
    mr2snafu

Answer by mr2snafu at 9:02 PM on Dec. 12, 2009

• consitancy, and structure, and fallow through.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:02 AM on Dec. 13, 2009

• I have 4 kids the youngest is 5. What I have done with all of them is tell them they have a choice

I get to their level, make sure eye contact is being made, tell them, they have 2 choices.

1. you can listen to me and pick up you toys (or whatever is going on at the moment) and things will be happy between us
    or
    2. you can choose to not listen to me and I can smack your but

This way I am making them choose the behavior and the consequence

Sometimes I have to hold my son by the shoulders and repeat myself ,, telling him he has to make a choice,,

I do not believe in spankings that are more like beatings....but nothing is wrong with a swat on the behind, pants pulled up.

Then there are times I just tell my husband he is yours, you deal with it and walk out of the house.

Never scream, kids get used to it and tune it out....reasoning works much better
    Anonymous

• One thing that has really worked for me is get down on their level, place your arm on their shoulder, be serious and look them in the eye, give SWIFT instructions and most importantly...have them REPEAT your instructions back to you. Give them a consequense if they dont follow thru. Make sure they do it. When you make sure they follow your instructions you are being a very loving parent by disciplining them. It says that you are taking the time to pay attention to them and taking the time to correct them, yes even when you are gtting after the little boogers. GL!

Kids DO tune you out. It infuriates me to see a child walk away from their parents while they are still talking....Ive worked on that! lol
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2009